Epilogue

Dan's POV

Three years later.

Phil and I sit in the back of a covered truck, only able to see each other by means of the bits of moonlight that peek in. We don't say anything to each other, as we're both going over the plan for the evening silently to ourselves, even though we've gone over it a million times before now. The only sound that can be heard is the sound of the truck driving over the dirt road we're currently on. 

Four other agents sit in the back of the truck with us, all of us wearing our armor, all of us carrying weapons. This isn't my first time wearing the bulky, black gear with a red stripe on either arm, and it definitely won't be my last. My eyes have adjusted slightly to the darkness, so I'm able to slightly see Phil in front of me. I slowly reach across to him until our finger tips touch. We entwine our fingers and stay like that if only for a moment. He knows that tonight will likely be difficult for me, but I'm ready. When the idea for this mission was first brought up, I was the first person to volunteer to go out to perform it. Phil was the second.

"We'll be in position in about two minutes! Get ready to move out!" The driver says to us.

No one changes their positions very much, but I can feel a lot of the agents shift more in the direction of me, seeing as I'm who they'll likely be looking to for guidance. As promised, within only a couple of minutes, the truck comes to a stop, and the sound of several other engines silencing follows until the only noise that can be heard is that of the crickets.

The cabin of the truck is suddenly illuminated as Phil switches on his torch, "Alright. Everyone remembers where the infirmary is?"

Everyone nods.

"Everyone remember where the dormitories are?"

Again, everyone nods.

"Alright. Dan knows the Eden agency better than anyone here, so if he tells you to do something, you do it. If you have any questions, ask him. Anything you want to add, love?" Phil asks me.

I nod, "When it comes to the little ones, just snatch and go - but be gentle. They shouldn't be too difficult though - it's the older kids that'll be a threat. We're dealing with babies and ten-year-olds here, but nothing in between. I know how the training works around here, so there's a good chance we're going to be dealing with ten-year-olds that know how to use machetes and guns as big as they are. Try to be calm at first; tell them what we're here for, try to be peaceful, but if they don't relent, then again just snatch and go. Got it?"

"Yes," Everyone says in unison.

Phil nods, then switches off, "Let's go."

We unload out of the truck and see dozens of agents doing the same thing out of several other trucks. It takes a minute for our eyes to readjust to the darkness, but once they do, we meet up with all of the other agents and review the plan one last time. Then, Phil and I move out to the front of the line.

"Weapons get aimed at adults only, understood?" Phil asks.

"Yes, sir!"

Any other time someone says that to Phil, I always say something like "Sir? That's kinky". This time, however, I keep my mouth shut as this may be my most serious mission to date. Phil nods in response to everyone.

"Group one, head into the infirmary with me. Group two, head into the dormitories with Dan. Affirmative?"

"Yes, sir!"

"Let's try to get this done by sunrise with as little casualties as possible. Move out!" Phil demands.

A month ago, Eden got its most recent "shipment" of children that they get every ten years.