Dancing In The Rain: 1

EDITED BY @MISSXDSMILEY

                                               Chapter One

                                               Phoebe POV

Since it is a gloomy day outside, I decide to go into my room and sketch. Caitlyn always thought I had an eye for art, but mum thinks too much creativity can take you away from reality. I don’t believe that, art makes me feel connected to the world, like I’m not just like another random person in this world.

So, I sketch outside, the buildings and people and the rain. There's all kinds of buildings here in New York, and my favorite store is the art store. I haven't been there more than once, but I plan to go back real soon.

On the next page I sketch what I think is inside the store. Hundreds of paint sets, crayons, markers, pencils, notepads, charcoals, oil pastels, acrylics, watercolors, and lots of other amazing supplies.

When I was six, Caitlyn snuck out of the apartment and bought an art set for me, and I use it sometimes, but mum would be furious if she found out about it. And no one likes it when mum is furious.

There are a lot of things Caitlyn did that she must have had lots of fun doing, that I have had to keep from mum and dad, or else, they would never forgive Caitlyn. But, I think they've already passed that phase after she left home and never kept in contact. I know that if Caitlyn had kept in contact, all mum would do is persuade her to come back home and live like I do. Caitlyn is the smart one. She knows what mum would do.

I decide to take out the art set and do a little art, because I haven't in awhile. I grab two markers, one pink and the other blue. I first start to color in my view of New York, but then find myself making an eye, beautifully detailed, something unusual for me.

I place the markers back into the case of supplies and store it away in the bottom of my closet. Then look at what I have done in my notebook. It actually looks kind of pretty, now that I think about it.

Since I am allowed to watch a maximum of 2 hours of television during the summer, I grab my notebook and turn on cartoons. When I see Diggie the Doggie pop up, I begin to sketch his chubby face, and draw his whole body, of course with his super man cape.

Then, WordGirl turns on and I do the same thing until my two hours are up. I got four characters sketched and was proud of my work. I decide to sneak in one more hour to watch the latest reality TV show with Angelina Jolie and her two sisters who go around Hollywood, scaring their neighbors. I laugh when they scare a dog.

Then, I think about Caitlyn and begin to sketch her face.

                                                Caitlyn POV

I pull the critter shaped cookies out of the oven and grab all of the frosting tubes. I first start and the 4 caterpillars. They each have their own unique color. Each with a white eye.

Then I work on the bumblebees. Each their own unique colors. Each with a white eye.

And the ladybugs have all different colors, like the ones on the caterpillars and bumble bees.

As soon as I finished frosting the cookies and put them into a cardboard box, I call the lady. But after four rings no one has picked up. Then five. Then six. Then seven.

"Jim, the lady did not pick up. She said they'd be in town all morning. Do you mind if I try to go find them?" I asked. I was slightly worried.

"I think that's them coming in right now." Jim said with a smirk on his face.

"Sorry I didn't answer my phone, my little boy got a cold and I had to take him home, and when I heard my cell phone ring, I ran over here to pick up the cookies. He really wanted them." The lady said, looking pale, probably worried sick about her little boy.

"Oh, here, I already have them packaged for you. Your total fourteen dollars and ninety six cents., would you like to pay in cash or credit?" I asked her.

"Cash please. Here is a twenty, keep the change. You deserve it, I made too much of a hassle."

"Oh you were fine, we love having new customers come in and request foods, it's what makes our jobs fun!"

And with that, they left the shop, and they ran until I couldn't see them. I was a little worried about the little boy and how the mother was handling it.

To get my mind off of her, I started to bake the surprise cake. It was a plain square, but I put blue moon ice cream filling in it to make it seem like the water. Then I frosted it yellow, like the sand of the beach, and put small black dots for the iron shavings in the sand. I frosted the words Happy sixth birthday, Brianna and began to frost a small blue coast on the side, and did a red shovel, and a pink pail, and a multi-colored beach ball.

When I finished the cake, a father walked in, wearing a suit and tie, with a little six year girl, who must have been Brianna.

"Hi, welcome to Jim's Bakery, I am Caitlyn. How may I help you." I asked the man.

"I would like to order 30 cookies, for my daughter's sixth birthday, as soon as possible, please." He asked sounding very professional.

"Sure! We can try to finish them around 5, at closing time. Would you like them frosted? And, what shapes?"

"Any is fine. Look we have to go, here's my name and number, we'll be back at five."

He left in a flash.

Jim burst our laughing. He can get on my nerves sometimes, luckily, Christine walked into the shop. She wasn't in the uniform, so she has to go next door and and change.

"What's Jim laughing about now?" She asked.

"I had a customer who told me he wants 30 cookies by 5 and gave me his buisness card. He ran out of the shop after he gave me the information."

She laughed, trying to hide it though. I truly didn’t get what was so funny.