Chapter Two

Alicia's POV:

"Okay people, time for bed. Lights out!" Marcus yelled. Being a guard here, he was required to get us all to bed so escape plans didn't happen. Like mine, for instance. I laid on my cot silently, nerves racking my body at what I was about to do.  I stuffed a bundle of clothes under my shirt just in case I made it. Unlikely, but one could hope.

Early today, when I had gotten the coil of cable into my cell, I had been able to toss it through the barred window to somewhere above ground.  Yes, we were in a basement, so my best plan of escape would be to go through the quickest way up, even if it was covered in wolfs bane. The plan was to have my friends distract Marcus long enough for me to pull myself through one of the larger gaps in the window and to then make a break for it. The past few days I had mapped out the area in my head with the information new prisoners had passed on to me. They all told me the same thing, though. Don't go east, whatever you do, don't go east. 

I didn't remember anything being east when I was a pup, or at least nothing bad, so I simply shrugged my shoulders and went along with it. Now, I knew that I needed to avoid that area if I want to get out of here successfully. 

"Marcus, I think there's a rat upstairs! I can hear it through the walls!" Maria's voice was shrill as she screamed. Marcus had a small crush on her, everyone knew, so he of course responded immediately. 

"Maria, go to sleep please. I'll investigate it." We had always been the most well behaved ward in the jail so it would be easy for me to slip out of here. No one expected one of their most obedient prisoners to make a break for it on this particular night. When I heard the footsteps from above coming from Marcus, I quickly hauled myself up the cable, getting me closer to the window. If I had attempted to leave when I first got here, I most likely wouldn't have been able to do what I was doing now, climbing this cable.

Instead, I most likely would've face planted on the ground, due to not having a single athletic bone in my body. Luckily, I had built up some muscle since then, and effortlessly scaled the wall, reaching the window in no time. Peering out the barred window, I saw guards around the area, so I made a quick mental note to be as quiet as I possibly could. 

"Marcus! It's coming for me! I swear if you don't come down here-" Was all I heard before I successfully slipped through the bars and pulled myself up onto firm ground. I dropped the coil of cable back at my feet before giving Leo a thumbs up from my vantage point.

The cells we were put in had 12 foot ceilings, with a small cot, toilet and sink. We had all walls surrounding us besides the small windows we could open and close to see the people on either side of us and the window on the heavy doors. Since we were in a basement, we had windows from ground level so that it wasn't pitch black. The bars had never been thought to be made to be really close together because people wouldn't be able to get out from down at the bottom. That was before I used the cable, though.

I quickly slunk through the shadows the building made and stayed out of the searchlights that patrolled at night. It was thought that prisoners would escape in daylight because these search towers wouldn't be able to make small movements so obvious, but that was what they were suspecting. And I had seen many times when that very plan back fired. 

Once I reached the part only patrolled by two guards without the aid of the search light, I broke into an all out sprint. I wasn't going to waste anytime getting away. It seems that the guards either got a whiff of my scent, saw the flash of my clothing, or heard the sound of my pounding feet ricocheting off the stone walls. All I heard was an audible, "Get her!" before the chase was on.

I had run in chasing games in my youth quite frequently, however with my nonathletic abilities, I was always caught. Now, I had the proper training and exercise that I could easily beat any one of those kids. I now ran like my life depended on it, which it most likely did. I knew I wouldn't be returned to the sector of the facility I had previously occupied, that much was for sure. 

I could hear the two guards gaining on me, calling out to their friends that they had this in the bag. Funny that I was quite a ways away from them. I continued my speedy pace as I passed all the guard towers stationed through the property. The only thing left that I had to get pass was the giant gate. It was opened only by the guard towers on either side of it, which had already spotted me. They transported supplies in during the night when the prisoners were less likely to be a threat. 

The wolves in the towers quickly tried to close the gate as fast as possible. No one had ever gotten this far before, but I wasn't about to stop now.

So just as the gate was starting to close, I made my decision. Either I stay behind and let them catch me, without feeling the gate crushing me. Or, I use my newfound athletic ability to somehow inhumanly outrace the gate and get out. Deciding, my eyes fluttered open, and my speed didn't just increase, it doubled.

People always talk about having an adrenaline rush in extreme situations. Maybe it was a car chase, or some game. Whatever it was, I met the gate just before it closed completely. 

I sucked in my stomach and launched myself with my body facing sideways. 

I closed my eyes, waiting for impact.

Instead, I heard sirens.

And when I opened my eyes, I knew.

I had made it.

...

As soon as I knew I had made it, I didn't sit around to give me or my wolf a pat on the back. No, I pulled out the bundle of clothing I had brought, and shifted midair, transferring it to my jaws. 

Originally, I had had a bigger wolf, with stringy brown hair that looked like it needed a haircut. Now, I had a bronze colored wolf that was a fairly big size that was much, much stronger. The second my paws touched the ground, I was off like a gunshot.

Behind me, I heard the gate frantically be pulled open, while two wolves began their advance. I looked behind me, expecting to see the guards from earlier, only to see two charcoal grey wolves on my tail. I sped up, swerving to the trees, knowing that as long as I entered a pack's territory, I would be safe. These wolves were warriors, and highly trained at that. I really needed to get them off of my tail.

I bolted through the trees, letting my wolf take over. Using her sense of direction, I was able to tell where we were. We were heading east! I yelled for her to stop, and she swerved, trying to run somewhere else. But the warriors were to close.

It was too late. We had already crossed pack lines.