Chapter Twenty-Two

Alicia's POV:

I was in.

I had been able to use the tool from the guard to pry the panel open, just enough for my slim figure to slip right through. Luckily, I hadn't torn it up, and was able to slid it back in place so that it looked like it did before. Or, at least similar from the inside. 

It turned out that Sam had been right - this was an air conditioning tunnel, and hopefully it lead to somewhere where I could access the power supply. I tried to use my training to move as stealthily as possible so that I didn't alert as to where I was.

Quite honestly, if Sam wasn't the one to break the news, I don't think anyone would notice my absence. 

After another turn around a very small bend, a grate appeared in the floor. From the looks of it, it was the guards lounge room. A rack of uniforms was on one end of the wall while three torn up couches faced a small circular table. In there, I could see a few guards that were there when I was caught, as well as Sam and the man he attacked.

"-crazy I tell you!" The man yelled, looking wildly between all the guards. "He came in and beat me up simply for touching that beauty he keeps to himself. It isn't like she's his."

"Well, she sure isn't yours either!" Sam was furious, his face beet red as he stared the man down.

"Look, we all know you like her, Sammie boy," the man said,  "but that doesn't mean you can't share. Why don't we just bring her in here to decide for herself who she wants to be with."

Sam quickly masked his worried expression - one that only a sister like me could catch. He simply nodded his head, as if he was going to agree while the men around him cheered. From the looks of it, they had wanted an all out brawl, but if they were going to have a girl in the room to argue over, well, that was a close second.

"How about you and I both go get her, that way I can make sure she isn't hurt or harassed on the way here." I could tell Sam was taking this precaution in the case I hadn't made it out yet.

"Fine, but we both get to hold one of her hands, deal?" The beat up guard smirked, liking that he was going to get to touch me. My nose scrunched up as Sarah and I even considered him touching us again. He reeked of rogue - something we hated.

Just before I was about to crawl away, the men went back to their talking as Sam looked up, his eyes widening as he saw me staring down on him. A slow smirk fit across his face as he winked, before following the other guard the door, ready to 'go get me'.

I thought it best to continue on instead of waiting, mostly because of my fear of being caught by one of these men. 

Just after about ten minutes of passing two more grates, each of which were pitch dark beneath me, I heard it. A yell that seemed to ricochet throughout the pipe, making my sensitive ears ring in pain. I could make out more yells, which soon turned into a chorus before the sound of thundering footsteps was heard. 

I picked up my pace, still mindful of how much noise I made, when I heard a loud bang behind me. I looked back, only to see that the sound was getting closer, and whatever it was, I wasn't going to let it find me. Not this early on.

So, without any other choices, I opened the grate which led to a pitch black room beneath me, and dropped. I had to get out of here, and if this was the only way, then so be it.

I thought I was going to fall forever. I thought that by the time I landed, my body would be crumpled mess. But to my surprise, the ground was quite closer than I had anticipated. After a two foot drop - at most - I felt ground beneath my feet, my upper half still encased in the AC pipe.