c h a p t e r | t w o

After a long journey to New York we finally made it to Manhattan.

"Welcome home miss." The driver said and opened the carriage doors for me. As soon as I took one step out I was engulfed in a huge hug.

"Bri! It's so good to see you! You've finally came to visit!" my uncle said in a muffled voice, his head burried in my shoulder. I let go of the hug and kissed him in the cheek.

"If only it was with better circumstances." I replied.

"Hey turn that frown upside down sweetie, because while your here you're going to have the time of your life." George said. "As soon as Martha arrives she plans on giving you a tour of Manhattan!" He said excitedly.

"Martha? Oh I haven't seen her in forever!" I replied excitedly glancing around, looking for things to explore.

"Well great honey, let me show you to your room and you can unpack." he said patting me on my back. I heard the horses attached to carriages ride away as I walked to my uncle's home.

My room was absolutely beautiful, I wondered if it was a guest bedroom. It sure seemed like a master bedroom.

"I haven't been here in forever!" I shouted spinning around in my room. I could hear my uncle chuckle from downstairs. I quickly unpacked my things and pulled out a quill and ink to write a letter to my parents. I rolled out parchment on the desk near me and began to write.

Dear Mother and Father,

I have arrived safely to Manhattan and have a wonderful day planned already. Uncle is already treating me like a princess. (I think he gave me a master bedroom!) I am overjoyed to be here but I hope things at home get well soon. I wanted to ask how long you predict I will be staying? Not that I don't like it here but, I'll need to go to school correct? Shall I continue my schooling here in Manhattan? Anyway hope things are swell.

Love, Brielle Washington

I sloppily signed my name and ran downstairs and outside to bring my letter to the mail. And right as I turned around to enter the house again, I spotted Martha walking up the gravel.