c h a p t e r | t h i r t e e n

ANGELICA'S POV (THE NEXT DAY)

Brielle did not meet us at the restaurant today. Nor did she show up to her dance class she was telling us about. Actually, no one had heard from her for the past 2 days. Eliza, Peggy, and I decided to go to John. Surely he knew.

"Eliza!" I shouted. "Did you find his address?"

She ran in with a slip of paper in her hand. "Yes, grab Peggy, let's find John."

Eliza had gotten the address from our father who, really knew where everyone lived. We walked to the address written on the paper and knocked on the door it led us to.

John opened the door.

"Ladies.." he started but then noticed our faces. "What's wrong?"

Eliza spoke. "Have you heard from Brielle at all lately?"

Concern washed over his face, "No. Oh my god. Why? What happened? Is she okay?" he started shooting questions.

"No John calm down. We planned to go out to eat today. She didn't show up. She also had her first dance class today. No show." I said.

"She's been looking forward for that class. Bouncing up and down every time she brought it up." He said. "We need to find her. Let's head to her home."

We all nodded in agreement. We walked without talking, too nervous to talk. Until John spotted a certain French man across the way.

"Lafayette!" he called.

He turned around and ran towards us.

"Bonjour, mon ami, Mesdames. What is wrong?" He asked.

"Have you heard from Bri?" John asked.

"No mon ami. Is she in trouble?" He said.

"She didn't show up for our lunch today." I said.

"Bien. Let me get Hercules." Lafayette started to walk away.

John grabbed him. "Laf! There's no time! What if she is hurt or kidnapped- oh it would be all my fault. I told her I was busy. I couldn't see her!"

"Calm down." Eliza soothed him.

"Let's go. No more distractions. She probably just doesn't feel well." Peggy added. But, she never met Brielle yet.

And with that the four of us became five, heading to the Washington house. John stepped up and knocked on the door.

No answer.

He went to knock again but the door swung open. There stood George Washington, with slightly puffy eyes.

"I expected you would be coming." Washington said, looking at John specifically. "Brielle is fine." he said and started closing the door.

"But sir-" John spoke up. "Can we see her?" He asked, begging.

Washington sighed but opened the door completely, letting us in. He led us upstairs outside what I was assuming Brielle's room.