c h a p t e r | t w e n t y t h r e e

(PLEASE READ A/N AT BOTTOM WHEN FINISHED READING CHAPTER.)

John's POV

Brielle and I walked to the restaurant I had reservations for. Her, smiling the whole entire way there. She pointed the place out to me one night when we went out to look at the stars. So, it was appropriate to bring her there. Make her happy. I don't feel I do that enough, make her happy. She'd be better off with someone else.

Someone who's always going to be there for her, to love her. And let her know she's loved. I won't be able to provide that for her.

We arrived at the doors of the small, but fancy restaurant. Brielle was jumping up and down. I looked at her sadly, her not noticing, and grabbed her hand. We walked in together.

"Reservations for Laurens." I told the man waiting, "I came in last week to set them up."

"Yes! Mrs. and Mr. Laurens, welcome." he replied to which I turned red. I could see the red on Bri's cheeks as well.

"Um, we're not-" Brielle tried, but he already walked off. We quickly followed him.

He led us to the two seated table right by the window that I had reserved a while ago. Brielle smiled wide as we sat down.

"This is beautiful John, thank you." She said.

"Anything for I you." I replied to which she blushed.

God she was so cute when she did that.

We continued to look at the menu.

"This pasta sound good." Brielle pointed to words on her menu that said 'Pasta Special - Noodle, Red Sauce, Ground Beef, Salad.'

"You want that?" I asked.

She nodded.

"Your wish is my command." I said in a posh accent.

"Well thank you sir." She replied mocking my accent, but failing miserably.

I started dying of laughter.

"Stop!" She wined and turned red, "I tried!"

"No, it was adorable Bri." I chuckled.

The waiter came for drinks to which we both just got water.

"Not drinking tonight, huh Laurens?" She teased.

"Don't temp me, Washington." I mocked.

The waiter came back, and took our order for our meal. Brielle ordered to pasta she pointed out earlier, I ordered a beef dinner. We waited in silence until he returned with our food.

"Thank you." I said as he put the trays down on our table. He didn't reply. I waited for him to leave before mumbling, "Rude."

Brielle heard me and laughed. She started digging into her food.

"I'm guessing you like it?" I asked as she had a mouthful of food in her mouth. She blushed and swallowed.

"It's delicious."

"I could tell!" I laughed.

We both started eating, an awkward silence emerging between us.

I was about to bring up a topic to talk about but before I could speak, Brielle did.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

I was surprised at the question, but knew exactly what she was talking about. I rubbed my hands together nervously.

"Nothing."

"You're leaving aren't you?" She said and grabbed my hand. "They want you at the war, don't they."

I could tell she was about to cry. God, why did she know me so well? She ruined the whole night by reading my mind.

"I was going to wait until later, love. You ruined the night." I sadly chuckled, but knew it wasn't her fault. "Yeah, your father wants Alexander, Lafayette, Herc and I all to fully commit. We have a plan, sort of, that Alex thought of. We are going to move west, go undercover. I'll be back before you know I'm gone."

"You're all leaving?" She wasn't holding back tears now. "When?" she whispered.

"Three days."

"How long?" she asked.

Those were two words I was not looking forward to hearing.

"A long time."

"What John? Days, months, years? Tell me!" She started getting annoyed and honestly I was a bit scared.

"I mean it depends- the British they're unpredictable. I'll visit, every day I get. And I'll write every single day. With a big smiley face right on the front, just for you Bri."

"Okay." She mumbled.

I squeezed her hand. "But hey." She looked up at me, tears subsiding. "These next three days are going to be the best days of your life. We are spending every moment together. We'll get the whole gang together too."

She nodded slightly. But looked up.

"So when you were talking earlier, about if you were gone. You think I'd replace you? Find someone else?"

I was my turn to nod.

"I would never replace you." she kissed my cheek.

And so we finished our dinner with very little talk, and more drinks then we had planned originally.

BRIELLE'S POV

I don't know what I'm going to do.

(A/N: Yeah a little bit of a sudden ending there. Hehe. Due to the war John's going to be gone for years in Brielle's life, meaning a few bigger time skips. I wish there was another way to do it, like to squish the whole plot together. But with what I have planned for this story, it won't work. So, I hope you're okay with time jumps soon, it's the only way I can do it. Thank you so much for over 600 reads, and for actually clicking on this story. Bye!)