c h a p t e r | f o u r t e e n

5 DAYS LATER (JANUARY 22ND)

Tomorrow was my parents funeral. My Uncle and I only have 2 days left, one after the funeral. Our visit to Virginia has been very pleasant but sad, as I walk through my hometown. I walk past the familiar streets with my Uncle in hand, remembering being in the same spot when I was younger. But of course then, it was my mother and father's hands I was holding.

But now they're gone. Making me an orphan officially. I got over the crying pretty fast. Most likely because my eyes are too dry to spill anymore tears. I'm afraid of opening letters. So afraid another letter will announce a death of someone I love. But my Uncle has stood by my side completely. And John, through letters.

Even though I was hesitant when opening each one, he made it clear it was him on each envelope. He put a big smiley face on each letter sent to me, letting me know the letter was from him. I didn't have to worry about any other bad news being received. And that became our thing while I was in Virginia. Smiley faces. I put them on every envelope mailed to him, and him the same to me.

THE NEXT DAY (AKA THE DAY OF THE FUNERAL)

I woke up early. Dreading what was happening today. My Uncle and I sat at the table and ate breakfast together, yet not speaking a word to each other. I couldn't imagine what was going through his head. He lost his brother. And his sister in law. It made me all the more guilty when I found out they were on the ship, coming for me. It was totally my fault.

But of course, John reassured me through his love letters it wasn't. God I miss him.

I put on the all black dress I had tailored. Just for today. Washington wore an all black suit. We took a carriage to the funeral. It would be outdoors, close to my home. They will be buried close to their home too. I mean, it's where they grew up, I grew up and even where Washington grew up.

It was a very small funeral, only close family was invited. We arrived at the field where the funeral was taking place. Washington pointed out all of his siblings that were there. Including my Uncle Samuel, Uncle John, which is really weird saying, my Aunt Betty, Aunt Jane, Uncle Charles, Uncle Augustine, and my Uncle Butler.

Washington had a lot of siblings.

But all there was on my mother's side was a weird Aunt I've never met. My mom never talked to her older sister. Barely even mentioned her.

We stepped out of the carriage and Washington introduced me to his siblings. But afterward, I had to meet my weird Aunt. She must have something to say about my mom. I walked over to her.

"Hello." I said quietly, not having talked to anyone in a while.

She turned around.

"Who are you?" She question, not in a very nice way. I immediately regretted walking over here.

"I'm um.. your niece. The name's Brielle. We've never met." I replied, a forced smile on my face.

"Pam's daughter?" she asked.

"That would be the one."

"Well Brielle. Very nice to meet you. I'm Victoria." She held out her hand to which a shook.

There was an awkward pause.