c h a p t e r | s e v e n

I knew Martha wouldn't be home until later, and I really wanted to know what the Winter's Ball was. So I decided to go to the town center, where I know flyers of big events were always posted. At least, that's what Martha told me.

This was technically only my second day in New York, I still didn't know where everything was located. Only the places Martha showed me. So, I decided to walk to the dance class building, and find the town center from there.

I put on a nicer dress, put my hair up and grabbed my letters I had written. I walked down the long gravel path and popped my letters in the mailbox at the bottom.
Then I started my journey. The dance building was very close, only about a ten minute walk. I passed churches and mother's holding their child's hand. I passed a park and the giant fountain, that I again threw a coin into.
Then soon enough, I reached the dance class building. 

The one with beautiful grey bricks.
I walked to the entrance of the building then turned east. If I keep walking that way, I should reach the center.

Martha and I never got to the town center in my tour yesterday. Plus, I got distracted by the noisy bar. I walked through one grassy field going east, and could see the town center in the distance.

It had a bigger fountain then the one near home right in the center. Surrounding that fountain in a diamond shape, were four bright red brick walls. I assumed any flyers or newspapers would be posted there for the public. Then all around that was the greenest grass and the most vibrant colored flowers. The houses were all made from wood, wool and brick. And all of them were very tiny, like a village.

I ran the last few feet to the town, and touched the red bricks. I threw 2 more coins into this fountain and walked over to the font of the wall. Hundreds, maybe thousands of flyers and clips from newspapers were posted on each wall. Each paper was overlapping the next. Some papers that have been overlapped were peaking out, and dated back to the late 1600s.

I searched for the most recent flyers. If the Winter's ball was a big event, it would have to be on top. Only after a minute of searching I found what I was looking for. In big bold letters the flyer said:

A WINTER'S BALL
This Sunday, January Third, 1776, Time's Square will hold the annual Winter's Ball. Please arrive by 4:30, ball runs all night. No requirements needed for guests. Hosted by the one John Adams. Feel free to donate money for the clothing charity for homeless. More information to be posted soon of how you can help.

Adams Administration

A ball? Held at Times Square? I haven't been to a ball in ages. I have to get home and tell Martha we need to go dress shopping.

(A/N: okay okay, I know ((this is for my friends Selena)) that the Winter's Ball is in 1780, but like I said in the beginning, things are gonna be different than musical. So it goes with my story. Thanks!)