c h a p t e r | t w e l v e

2 DAYS LATER

The last 2 days have been great. My Uncle forgave me and was fine with me dating John. He actually said, "Well, at least it's not Alexander." which made me die of laughter. Everything was well. Martha had just left for the market and my Uncle to his office.

Yesterday Eliza wrote to me from herself and Angelica saying that we needed to see each other soon. As much as I love the boys, I need some girl time. So, we planned to meet up at a little outdoor restaurant tomorrow. And Peggy was coming as well, their youngest sister. They informed me that was the one holding hands with Mulligan at the Ball.

Then after the girls and I eat, I have to go to the dance place. It's my first day teaching there tomorrow.

To pass the time and skipped around the house singing and cleaning. Just so the maids could have the day off. After that I played a bit of piano. But I was bored out of my mind.

I wanted Jooohhhnnnn.

But he was busy. He's ALWAYS busy.

I skipped downstairs and out the door but ended up running back inside because I spotted a pile of letters on the counter. I picked up the stack, excited to actually have something to do, and ran to my bedroom. The first two were for my Uncle, so I put those off to the side for him. But the last one had 'Lawrence Washington' written on it's envelope.

A letter from my father! Finally. I haven't heard from him or mother in a while.

I opened the letter and started reading.

Dear Miss Washington,

We are overwhelmed with sadness to inform you that you mother, Pam Washington, and father Lawrence Washington were killed this Monday January 14th sailing to Manhattan. They both were aboard ship #443 when it sunk. There were no survivors and no known cause of its plunge. We offer our sincere condolences to you and your family.

Marine Manufacturers Association

I just stared at it with a blank face. I mean, I must of gotten the wrong letter. Right? My mother told me her and father were sailing to England. Not to here! They were on separate boats. Why... why were they coming here?

I didn't notice I was starting to cry until the tears rolled down my face. Each one coming faster then the next. The entire world spun around me. My mom and dad? Never to be seen again. Dead?

I cried harder.

I grabbed the letter through sobs and ran out the door. I had to get to my Uncle. I ran to his office in a matter of 5 minutes, when walking it usually took 20. I burst through the doors and ignored the guards that tried to stop me. I ran to my Uncle's room, opened the doors, then slammed them shut.

I turned around to face his concerned face.

I threw the now tear stained, crumpled letter at him. I didn't wait for him to finish before I started sobbing. I watched a few tears escape his eyes as he walked over and hugged me.

We cried for my parents together.

(A/N: Sorry not sorry. It needed to happen. Well, not really but I'm in a bad mood so, here ya go! I made a new cover on a happier note. Thanks for reading!)