Chapter:1

Four years later

I got out of bed. My parents were already moving around. My mother is alpha of the pack but not for much longer. In a few days my brother will be coming back from our aunt and uncle's pack.

He and I have been at each other's throats for the title. On my first taking of the alpha general education test I scored higher than when my brother took it. In a few days I will take it once more with five other alphas.

I got dressed in comfortable clothes and ate something quickly before getting to school early. I met up with the other five as we waited for the counselor to take us into separate rooms for it.

We each were called into a room and monitored by an alpha and beta each from different packs and not my own. I took my time on it making sure each were as correct as they could be.

When I got to the strategy part of the test. I was given a situation and had to answer how I would play it out. One was an invasion from another pack. I said I'd send out my toughest and most willing first. Then my beta and the other warriors willing to protect the pack.

When I was done I closed my test book and scooted away from it. A counselor came in and let me go. The test took up most of the day. The five others weren't done yet.

I was aloud to go home since it was over. My score will be added up and will go into my grades and will determine if I could be an alpha or not.

Once home I shifted after getting out of my clothes and just ran. After sitting in that room for most of the day I had to get some energy out. My brown and blonde colored wolf was wild as I let her run. When I was back I got into my clothes and went into the office to see my mom.

She was going over papers with my dad sitting off to the side. Most of the kids and teens were still at school. "Leah. How was your test?" Mom asked not looking up. "Good. I finished before the other alphas did. I took my time and did my best." I said leaning on the desk.

"Did you go for a run?" She asked. "Yes ma'am." I answered. "Your aunt and uncle should be here tonight with your brother." She said still not looking up. "I thought they wouldn't be here for another two days." I said.

"Your brother finished two days early so they decided to go ahead and bring him back to his home pack." She said. "I've seen his scores as they improved. You know if they have the same score they'll have to prove that they have what it takes to be an alpha." Dad said.

"Leah. Go see what needs to be done around the pack." Mom said dismissing me. I nodded before leaving. As I walked around the pack house the future beta came up to me. "My dad just went out to great the visiting alpha and her mate." He said walking next to me.

"Your brother is with them." He added. "May I have some peace and quiet. Come find me when their close to ready to serve dinner." I said. He nodded before leaving me be. As I stepped outside the backdoors the warriors in training stopped and bowed to me as I watched and passed by.

Two maids rushed around the kitchen preparing a meal. I slipped between them getting myself a glass of tea. Then back out. The adults talked in the living room. The alpha's apartment was huge compared to the beta's.

I stepped out onto the balcony barefoot and sat down on a chair propping my feet up against the railing. My cut offs letting the sun tan my legs. The thick strap racer back tank top I was wearing let the west sun turn my skin golden.

I sighed as I watched the patrol coming back switching out with the night watch. The door opened then closed again. I watched elsewhere when I knew my brother had sat down beside me. "Leah."

I ignored him. "I'm sorry. I should have been a better brother to you and a better son." He said. I wanted to pitch my glass over the railing and let it shatter on the ground below. Or even jump over it to hurt myself and try to give myself a head injury.

"Sis please don't do that to yourself. I already regret doing those to you. It never fixes anything especially hurting yourself." He said. I set my glass on the table and stood up. "Leah. Please don't." Matthew told me. I leaned on the rail looking down.

He stood up when I sat up on the rail. "I wish I was a bird instead of a wolf." I said. "Flying away won't solve problems. Running from them won't either." He said leaning on the rail beside me. "I want to just jump off here and see what damage it can do." I said starting to slip.

"Leah. Please don't. I don't want to lose my baby sister." Matthew said. I continued to slip. Before I could fall I was grabbed. "Let me." I said. He pulled me over actually hugging me close to him. I broke down.

I could feel myself slipping from being sane. "Leah." My brother held me there holding me close. My twin brother. The one that was supposed to be there. The one that was supposed to chase guys away from me. To go on runs with me.

"I'll be here for you sis. From now on I'll be here when you need me." He said. I wrapped my arms around him. "Lets go for a run before we have to eat." He said. He set me down before leading the way downstairs. Once outside we both stripped out of our clothes and shifted.

Not only were we siblings but our wolves as well. We were the same colors only different patterns. After wrestling for a bit our wolves took off running. Freedom is how it felt. After reaching the falls that was split by a neighboring pack we both dove into the water before running and playing.

Our dad then mind linked us to come back for dinner. 'Race ya bro!' I said before taking off at top speed. He was right behind me. As we neared the house he shifted before I did. We got back in our clothes and went up to the apartment. "Feel better after the run?" He asked as we entered the house.

Several of the pack members bowed to us as we walked through the house up to the elevator. Once on the alpha and beta floor we exited the elevator and into the hall. Then entered the apartment. They were already sitting at the table with food in front of them. Both alphas were already sitting at the heads on each side.

I took my usual seat across from Matthew. "So how was the run?" Mom asked. "It was good." "Relaxing." Matthew and I answered at the same time. He shot me a look before looking back at mom.

I kicked his shin underneath the table. He knew that he shouldn't have given me that look. After eating dinner I went to my room. I got a shower. These next two days are going to be pain.