Chapter Twenty Three

We crossed over the street until we reached several shops, Gales arm had dropped from my shoulders and I wasn't going to lie when I said I wish he'd put it back.

"Well I'm going this way" I pointed down the road and Gale rubbed the back of his neck.

"Not before you grab lunch with me" He motioned to a sandwich shop on the corner. I heard my stomach growl and found it difficult to reject as we entered and the smell of coffee and warm bread. We sat at the stools and grabbed our sandwiches making general conversation. I felt strange spending time with someone I didn't really know, but minute by minute I was feeling more comfortable and I could tell he was too as his shoulders relaxed.

"So, tell me of the Aiden situation" He grinned into his sandwich, taking another bite and I couldn't help but notice the mayonnaise that had got caught on the edge of his lip. He caught my eye line and I immediately looked away feeling my cheeks redden with blush.

"Well, it's just complicated I guess"

"Are you together?" He stopped chewing his food and took a moment to look at my expression, I tried to keep it neutral but I knew he could read my disappointed expression.

"No, I guess not, he's a jerk now" The truth had been spoken and Gale choked on his food in laughter, I stared at him for a moment and giggled at his embarrassing outburst.

"You've only just noticed" The words shocked me, I didn't used to think Aiden was a jerk but he had defiantly changed now and I didn't know that anyone else felt the same. I was certain Aiden didn't have many true friends but I defiantly wasn't expecting Gale to be so open about what he thought. I smiled and took another bite of my sandwich and I think he realised because he sent me an apologetic smile.

"I don't know" I admitted not really sure on what to say next.

"Well, if he is being a jerk to you, ditch him" He said it very matter-of-fact and hearing the word 'ditch' made my stomach turn slightly and I was no longer hungry, I was in no way shape or form ready to leave and give up on Aiden, he was my best-friend, my everything. I had no idea what had changed him but I was defiantly determined to find the old him to summon back. It appeared that trying to talk to Aiden wasn't an option because he would not want to listen or just wouldn't accept what I said so taking my sandwich again in my hands I chewed slowly as my brain processed plans. I suddenly realised that Gale was next to me.

"I think I still love him though" I was sure we had passed personal boundaries in this conversation and I knew I could trust Gale to a certain extent, even if he told anyone, maybe if it got back to Aiden somehow that I still loved him he would realise his change in character and return to the personality I loved so dearly. It was minimal chance but I had nothing to lose.

"I'll help you" Gale had finished eating and was now sitting, fully facing me and fiddled with his napkin.

"Help me with what?" I laughed as he attempted to make a swan from the napkin but failed miserably with a ripped, paper mess.

"Getting Aiden back" I stopped laughing all of a sudden and was confused. I thought they were friends but recently discovered that Gale thought Aiden was a jerk and now he wanted to help me? Me? A girl he picked up half hour ago. "I like the old Aiden too, so what's the plan?" He passed me the 'swan' he had made and I finally connected our eyes in contact and he grinned.

"I don't know? You want to help me? Then you make the plan" I teased whilst I racked my brain for ideas on what role Gale could play in all of this. Gale, a tall, dark, handsome boy that had muscles to hold me and... boom! I turned my head towards him and placed a teasing hand on his knee and he stiffened, sending me a look of confusion. "You're going to help me get Aiden back right? It will be a pleasure to be your girlfriend. His eyes widened and his legs were tense.

"My girlfriend?" His eyebrows were stretched high as his lips slightly gaping apart.

"Well, we'll work up to that, but look, if you make Aiden jealous of you, then he will want me back and I will accept him and change him back to the person he was. Everyone wins." I smiled as he smiled with me. We walked back onto the street reaching the part of the road we were due to part at. I stood opposite Gale and looked up into his deep eyes, the brown colour glistened and he briefly ran his tongue over his lips. I didn't want to admit it but he was attractive and I would have no issue in pretending to be in a relationship with him but every time I looked at Gale I felt a pang of guilt about Aiden and how I wished it was him instead. I wrapped my hands around his neck and he gently pulled me into his body for a hug. He was warm and tense as was I.  Looks like I would see my new boyfriend tomorrow.

The next morning I was nervous to say the least, my heart was working overtime trying to pump oxygen to my brain to keep me calm and my body was functioning at double its usual pace. I quickly got dressed and was soon out of the door walking to school. Halfway down my road, Aiden's car pulled up to my side and he rolled down the window.

"Hey, do you want a lift?" He purred.

"No, it's fine" My breathing rate was increasing and I was worried about hyperventilating but I immediately remembered the plan. "I'm meeting Gale just outside school" It worked, just as I had hoped Aiden's grin fell flat into a frown and he raised his sunglasses on top of his head to get a better look at my expression.

"Who?" Aiden almost demanded as he scowled at me.

"Just this guy" I pictured Gale's strong body and facial features and it didn't take long to go into a convincing daydream.

"Gale, as in the Gale who was on my football team?" I could hear the clear crispness of his voice.

"Yeah, I assume so, there's no other Gale" I almost mocked him and I could see his fingers grip over the steering wheel.

"What was yesterday all about then, the kiss? I thought we were... you know" Aiden was near to shouting and I wanted to laugh at his frustration but hid it.

"We were what, official? We never were remember? I have to go" I turned to my heel and walked away, I had no intention of looking back and could only wish I could watch my dramatic exit myself and see Aiden's face. He drove up to my side again and when I put my hand up to signal I wasn't going to talk to him and kept walking, the wheels skidded and he sped off into the distance. Good, he was gone. Now that Aiden knew about Gale, everything else would fall into place. When I eventually reached school after replaying the incident with Aiden one hundred times over in my brain I caught Gale looking smoking in a t-shirt and shorts waiting at the school entrance.

That wasn't the only thing I saw, in the other direction, coming from the car park I noticed Aiden too, was walking in the same direction and that's when I realised, he was heading straight for Gale.