Chapter Forty Two

I woke up with a throbbing head, as I reached to push myself up I found that there was a comfortable surface below me. I pressed it with my fingertips and it was material, possibly a bed. Opening my eyes the bright sunlight burnt them and sent a stabbing pain through my skull and I squeezed them shut, instead I used my sense of touch to pull myself into a sitting position but I was stuck, restricted by something, I turned and opened my eyes a smidge. Aiden was lying next to me, topless with his arm around my waist. My heart rate picked up as I tried to fumble my thoughts together. I just stared at him not wanting to wake him but wanting him to explain.

Looking down at my own body I noticed that I was in my own underwear, my nerves blocked my thoughts and clouded my outlook, this only looked one way and I was hoping I was wrong. I tugged myself free from Aiden's grip and he began to stir awake.

"Are you alright?" Aiden sat up and winced at his head rush and then looked at my face for a reaction, when he got nothing he laid back down. "You look like you're feeling better" He chuckled and rubbed his sleepy eyes.

"What do you mean?" My throat was croaky and my words were quiet.

"You're scowling at me, that means you're feeling back to normal" His grin was teasing and I shoved his chest feeling the resisting muscles and looked away before I stared too long.

"How did I get here?" I used the cover on the bed to shield my body, not that it mattered Aiden had seen me naked plenty of times, it's just that this time was different.

"Alex found you outside on the lawn and rung me because Gale wouldn't pick up, so I carried you and brought you here" He was propped up onto his elbow and I could see his back muscled contracting in the position, the sight was bringing back certain memories.

"Why am I half naked?" I urged and he smiled but not lifting his eyes from mine.

"Your clothes were damp and cold so I took them off - don't worry, I didn't look" He smiled again but a shy smile this time and I felt guilty from assuming the worst. I knew Aiden wouldn't take advantage of me and I felt ashamed of myself for thinking so.

"Thank-you" I laid back down beside him to feel the warmth of the covers around me, still shivering, Aiden wriggled closer to me and just as I was about to interject, his bodily warmth was heaven against my cold skin so I embraced it. There were many thoughts running through my mind, most of them questioning whether what I was doing now was right, in the end I shut them out and enjoyed the moment, I knew what I was doing.

I had just closed my eyes hoping that I could drift off to sleep for a while when my phone buzzed, I leant over to search for it only to hear that it was somewhere across the room, I crawled out of Aiden's body shelter and searched the room where I found it positioned on a shelf, I answered it just in time.

"Hello?" I smoothed down my hair, fully aware that Aiden now had a clear view of my underwear behind.

"Hey" It was Gale, my heart leapt into my throat as I thought about what to say. "Are you busy today?" There was voices in the background, probably the soccer team, they often met on Saturday's to continue practice.

"No, not that I know of" I agreed and I glanced over my shoulder at Aiden who was propped up and staring straight at me, I wasn't sure if he was burning holes through the phone at Gale or just staring at me, either one was bad so I shifted awkwardly and his eye line moved.

"Great, I'll pick you up later, around 12?"

"Great, see you later" I put the phone down and turned back towards Aiden.

"Gale?" He asked, he tried to sound casual but I could hear a waver in his voice.

"Yeah, I better go" I collected my things and retreated into the bathroom to change, when I clicked the door closed behind me I leant my head against the wood and thought. A part of me didn't want to leave, was that wrong? I felt a shudder on the other side of the door and stepped back.