Chapter 14

Louis felt like they had been in the waiting room for an eternity. Anne and Gemma were asleep on the chairs for about an hour. Robin, Harry's stepdad and Des, Harry's dad were at the cafeteria and Louis had called the boys as well.

"Styles?" A nurse called and they all stood up immediately.

"Is he okay?" Louis asked, his voice raspy from crying.

"Mr. Styles is suffering from pre-eclampsia and he almost lost the baby. His blood pressure is really high and it causes fluid retention whereas his upper stomach might hurt from time to time, especially when he gets Braxton Hicks contractions. Dr. Evans will soon inform you about the rest, he is currently informing Mr. Styles about the medication he will need until he goes into labor."

Louis felt relief wash over him and even though he still worried about Harry, he was glad that nothing worse happened. Before he could turn to Anne, Blaine came out of Harry's room to talk to them.

"He is okay, Lou." He said, placing a reassuring hand on Louis' tense shoulder. "The baby is fine, Harry is alright. He'll have to take a pill every day after every lunch in order to keep his blood pressure normal, but once he gives birth, he'll be completely fine. It's common for early labor to happen during complications like Harry's, but it's nothing to worry about. If he actually ends up giving birth earlier, that is."

Louis thanked him before Anne motioned for him to go in Harry's room first. Harry seemed paler than normal and he had a few dry tears on his cheeks, but he was calm.

"Haz?" Louis called and Harry smiled up at him.

"I'm so sorry, Lou." He mumbled.

"What? Why are you sorry, Harry?"

"I almost lost him." He said and Louis' heart broke. He rushed to Harry's side and pulled him into his chest, caressing his curls in advance.

"You didn't lose him, baby. He is right here with us. He'll soon be in our arms. You didn't do anything wrong."

"But-"

"No, Harry. Complications happen during pregnancies. None of this is your fault."

"Thank you for being here for me, honestly. I know we aren't on great terms right now, and I get it if you want to break up with me."

"What are you even talking about?" Louis asked, a serious tone in his voice. Harry still didn't understand how much Louis loved him.

"I can't make you stay, Lou. Eleanor obviously means so much more to you and I get it. I'll get over it eventually. Our baby will be just fine if we break up, you don't have to stay for him. You can see him every day-"

"Harry. What are you saying? You are my whole life, when are you going to believe me? Eleanor is a friend. I know you don't fully trust me yet, but the person I love is you."

"You spent the whole week with her, Lou. I really can't believe that you want me when it's the second time you ditch me for her."

"God, Harry. Just, please, wait a minute. I need to do something." Louis shook his head and left the room after placing a small kiss on Harry's curls.

Louis needed to have a quick talk with Anne, before he took the next step. "Anne, can I, please, talk to you in private?" He asked, rubbing his hands nervously.

Anne gave him a smile and nodded. They went a few meters away from the others and Anne looked at him curiously until he took a huge breath and started talking.

"I really wanted things to be different, but your son is being stubborn and won't let me do things the way I've got them planned. So, Anne, I'll make this quick. I need your blessing. You're the person Harry loves more than anything in this world and it would mean everything to me if you gave me your blessings to propose to him."

Anne teared up and pulled Louis in a tight hug, "Of course, Louis. Thank you for loving my boy as much as he loves you."

"Maybe even more." Louis winked, "I would ask Des as well, but even though we used to get along quite well, I know I'm not his favorite person ever since Eleanor came along. I don't think he wants me to marry Harry."

"You owe me fifty bucks, Anne." A strong voice from behind Louis made him freeze on his spot. Des joined them and laughed at the boy before patting his back, "I knew you were the one who was going to propose this time."

Anne groaned, "But Harry did it first, it's not fair."

"Did you, guys, actually bet on this?" Louis couldn't really fathom what was happening before he laughed along with them and after he had gotten Des' blessing and a hug as well, he was ready to see his boyfriend, soon to be fiance, again.

Harry was absentmindedly scrolling through his phone when Louis entered his room and everyone else followed closely behind him. Harry looked up at them weirdly, his eyebrows raised and his phone long forgotten on his lap.

"Lou? What are you doing?"

Louis chuckled as he sat on Harry's bed and took hold of his hands, winking back at Zayn with a knowing look. Zayn pulled his phone out and started recording with a huge smile on his face.  "I know you think I still want Eleanor and that's all my fault, but things are going to change. The worst mistake I've made in my life is cheating on you and I'm going to regret it 'till the day I die. Harry," He stopped to reach into his pocket to bring out the small box he had bought that week, when he went shopping with Eleanor.

"I love you. I've loved you since I was eighteen. You were just a little boy with curls, dimples and the most beautiful green eyes I have ever seen. That sixteen year old boy is all grown up and is carrying my son at the moment, making me so proud. The thing is, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I know what you had planned a few months ago was far more romantic than what I'm doing right now, but I wanted to do it right here, right now to prove to you how much I love you. So, Haz, will you marry me?"

Harry was crying his eyes out by the end of Louis' speech, hiccuping and wiping his cheeks every now and then. He couldn't utter a word, so he simply nodded and attacked Louis with a bone-crushing hug. The older boy hugged him back instantly, whispering sweet little nothings into his ear, while caressing his back. When they pulled back, Harry noticed that everyone in the room was in tears and Liam was comforting Niall, who was actually sobbing. He looked back into Louis' icy blue eyes and got lost in them for a few seconds before whispering, "I love you. So, so much."

"I love you too, sweetcheeks." Louis teased, earning a playful slap on his thigh.

"You started that, baby cakes, stop teasing me about it."

After everyone had congratulated them,  Louis was allowed to take Harry home. Blaine checked them out and gave Harry instructions for the rest of his pregnancy. When they were driving back home, Louis placed his hand on Harry's belly and Harry topped it with his own, proudly watching his ring shine. He was the happiest he had ever been in his life. He and and Louis were going to get married and their son would be born in less than two months, what more would he ask for?

_________________________________________
This chapter is edited.
11/11/2020

Louis proposed!
Who would have thought?

Leave a comment (or more) if you liked it! Love you all!