Chapter 2

Dean's POV

Sitting there, in the dark interior of the Impala, I couldn't keep my eyes off the women curled into the corner of the back seat. She was still wearing her plain wedding dress, her fingers nervously picking at the hem as she stared out the window.

"Y/N, I know this marriage wasn't of your choosing either. I just want you to know that I'm not going to expect a real marriage. I won't force you into anything you don't want. You can have your own room, and if, after a couple of days you still feel the need, you can leave. I won't come after you, I won't force you to stay. I want you to be happy, and if that includes staying with us, then you are more than welcome to." I found myself saying, watching as her wide gaze landed on mine through the rear-view mirror. She hadn't said much the entire day, and I didn't blame her either.

It had never been in my plans to enter an arranged marriage. My parents hadn't believed in the absurd ritual, and I had hoped that when, or if, I ever married, it would be for love. Not for the purpose of repopulating the hunter's communities, creating the next generation of professional killers. Sure, love was an obsolete idea, but I still had the slightest hope in my heart that it might happen for my brother or I.

"I don't know what to say." She whispered, still acting the timid and meek girl her parents had probably ordered her to be. I had only been to two arranged marriages in my life, and both brides had behaved the same, which confused me. Didn't we want brave, and courageous women raising our hunters?

"You don't have to say anything." I answered. "We're almost home, and you can have your own room. Sleep on it, get a feel for my brother and me. Then you can decide what you want."

Even as I said the words, I could feel this strange sensation, deep in my chest. As if someone had dug a knife into me, twisting it painfully. Ever since I had raised that damned veil, and seen her wide eyes staring up at me, I had felt drawn to this woman, and a part of me wanted her to stay. To live with Sam and I at the bunker. Which was stupid, I told myself as I forced my eyes on the road once again. I had just met the girl, who was ten years younger than me. Once she got to know me, she would probably be running back to her parents, or the compound.

"Thank you. I know you said it was a debt owed to your Father, and I want to thank you for following through with it." She mumbled softly, before covering a yawn.

"Why do you thank me? You don't know me. I could have been the worst possible husband choice in the world for you." I argued, wanting her eyes to be wide open to her new life. "I don't live in the hunting community. Hell, half the time it seems like Sam and I are shunned from them for one reason or another. There were probably at least ten more men who would be better fitted to be your husband."

"God deemed it so." Was her answer, which made me narrow my eyes. It wasn't very often you found a hunter that was rigidly religious.

"Are you religious?" I asked her, hoping not. While I knew all about the Angels, and Chuck, I didn't want to have to deal with a rare, religious hunter.

"No, but that's what my Mother told me. You were picked for a reason, and I know this will work out. I won't be a bother, I promise."

Just then, Sam started to stir in his seat, stopping the rest of our interesting conversation. Turning silent, I watched as she tucked herself farther into the seat, wrapping her arms around her knees. Taking my hand off the steering wheel for a moment, I reached behind me, blindly reaching for the blanket I knew to be there. "Here, take this." I grumbled, tossing the heavy duty blanket her way.

"Thank you." She answered, wrapping up in the blanket and resting her head against the window. It wasn't even five miles later her eyes were closed, her breathing even as she slept.