Part 45

Cas was still missing in action, and the contraction had finally gone away. With Dean supporting you, you began the trek past the wheat field, towards town. You kept hoping a car would drive by, but the road was eerily silent.

Dean kept praying for Cas as the sun beat down on you. You focused on breathing, in...out...in...out. It was slow going, but the town was getting closer, a hospital at the far end.

"I don't know where the hell...," Dean started to grumble when the sound of feathers interrupted him. He let go of you to turn around, clapping when he noticed a familiar Angel and his brother standing behind him. "Where the hell have you been?"

You turned around as well, your hand resting on your stomach, bracing yourself for another contraction that you knew was bound to come shortly. Both Sam and Cas stood in front of you, their eyes wide as they took everything in.

Sam was the first to break, rushing forward and enveloping Dean in a giant hug. And while you were grateful for the brotherly moment, you had more pressing matters at hand.

"I hate to interrupt," Cas spoke up. "But I do think we need to get Y/N to a hospital pronto."

Dean stepped back away from his brother, looking at you sheepishly. "We don't even know if there is a hospital in this town."

"There isn't," Cas answered. "I know of this place. It's another hunter community. Shouldn't they have a doctor at least?"

You shook your head as another contraction started to creep up your lower spine. "Midwife. They always have midwives."

Dean wrapped his arm around your waist while Sam helped from the other side. Cas went ahead, trying to find and warn the midwife about your upcoming arrival.

Gritting your teeth against the pain, you pushed forward even though a part of you wanted to turn around and run. You weren't ready to face another community, especially when getting ready to give birth. They wouldn't understand your life now, and you had a feeling you were going to be shunned for what happened at your old community. They might not even let the midwives help you....

"Y/N, is it the contractions?" Dean asked, noticing the grimace on your face. "We can stop if need be. Or Sam can go up ahead, borrow a car."

You shook your head even as a fierce contraction almost sent you to your knees. "No," you muttered through clenched teeth.

Dean cocked his head, wondering what was up when it dawned on him. "The community?"

You nodded just as an old beat up pick up came barreling down the street, Cas in the passenger seat. "Here's your ride," Dean tried to joke, but there was just as much tension in his voice as in your shoulders.

"The midwife is waiting," Cas assured you as he climbed out, letting you settle in. The driver looked at you strangely before Dean shut the door.

"Dean," you panicked, reaching out for him.

He smiled reassuringly, "We'll just be in the back of the truck."

You watched as they rounded the truck, but before they could climb inside the driver speed off down the road. "Wait!" You exclaimed. "I need them with me."

The driver turned to look at you, shaking his head disapprovingly. "Not where I'm taking you, Missy. You think we'll let you ruin our town as well."

"How do you know who I am?" You asked, fear coursing through you, your hand resting protectively on your belly. "And don't take it out on this unborn child!"

He glared at you, the truck swerving dangerously around the curb. You could barely see two figures in the dust, and you were hoping Cas was keeping an eye on you. "You don't recognize me, do you, girl? I was your father's most trusted advisor when you were about ten. He sent me here, to help settle this place. And we heard...about everything you did. How you killed your family, and leveled that place."

"It wasn't my fault," you pleaded. "Please, let me deliver this baby and we'll be as far away as possible afterward. I promise!"

He ignored your pleading, heading straight down main street where people lined the street to watch as you passed. Another contraction had you clenching the hand rest, your vision blurry, and you wanted nothing more than to have Dean by your side. "Agh," you cried out, and for a moment the man seemed to have second thoughts, slowing down slightly but continued on.

He finally pulled over at an old farmhouse, parking in the attached garage before pulling you out of the car. Another woman was there, older, short and round, staring at you in alarm. "Herald, whatever are you doing?" She asked, wiping her hands on her apron.

"This is Y/N!" He argued. "We can't just have her showing up in our community. We've been peaceful for so long now, I...,"

She shook her finger his way. "Herald McGeery, she's in labor. How dare you treat her this way. Especially if she is Y/N. You know her Mom and I go way back. We were in the very first community together."

He rubbed his hand on the back of his head, exasperated. "Mauve, I know that. But it's because of her that her Father's community went up in smoke. I don't want none of that here."

She took your arm, helping you through the kitchen. "And you won't. We'll just get this little baby delivered, and everything will be peachy. Won't it Y/N?"

At this point, you really didn't care. You wanted the pain and exhaustion to be over. You wanted to hold your baby in your arms, with Dean at your side. Tears trickled down your cheek, and Mauve frowned slightly. "I'm so sorry you weren't treated better. My Herald...well he tries to do well, but he can be a bit overzealous at times."

"My husband," you whispered as she settled you on the guest bed. "He was left...,"

"Don't you worry about that," she assured you. "You just worry about keeping you and this unborn baby safe. Herald will make amends, and everything will be fine."