Chapter 4

Sitting in the back seat of the Impala, this ride was so much different than your last. Sam was awake, smiling as he stared out the window. Dean had his radio up loud, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel.

Hearing one of your favorite songs come on the radio, you began singing along, surprising both Sam and Dean. Catching a pair of eyes as green as the grass outside staring at you in the rear view mirror. His head was cocked to the side, his Sandy hair still standing on end. It was easy to see his mixed emotions, even though he was still a stranger to you.

"You like Bob Seger?" He asked you, surprised.

"I do. He was my Father's favorite singer, and I enjoyed him as well." You explained.

"Dean thinks life is a Bob Seger song." Sam teased and you leaned forward, loving the easy teasing between both brothers. Hoping that someday, you light have the same sort of relationship. Or even more with Dean.

"His songs do have a tendency to reflect real life, so I agree." You answered, resting your head against the seat.

Before you could say anything else, Dean was pulling up in front of a small diner. Staring at it, you wondered what it would be like inside.

As you stared at it, Dean leaned through the open door, staring at you.  "What? Haven't you seen a diner before?"

Clambering out of the seat, you were soon standing beside him. "Seen a diner? Sure, all the time. But I've never eaten at one before." You admitted, watching as Dean's mouth hung wide open.

"How can you be a hunter, and never eat at a greasy, artery clogging diner?" He asked you incredulously. 

"I lived at the compound the majority of my life. Things like diners, and malls were never a part of that." You answered simply, staring around the crowded place with interest. 

"We will soon change that." Dean promised, his bad mood from earlier fading away. "I love diner food, and greasy hamburgers." 

"Not home cooked food?" You asked him, wondering if your hard training would go to waste. 

"No, home cooked food is amazing as well, we just don't get it very often." He admitted, opening the menu. 

"Then we will go shopping and I will cook you dinner tonight." You insisted, glancing down at all of the food, no idea what you should even order. 

"Try the french toast, with fruit." Sam suggested, winking over you to the waitress. After following Sam's suggestion, you glanced back at Dean.

"Life outside the compound seems so different. I'm not sure I will ever get used to the freedom it's offering so far." You said quietly, feeling as if you were letting your parents down. They had expected you to become the perfect hunter's wife, always by his side, providing a safe and loving home in the compound. Sometimes going out on hunts with him, helping with research when ever needed. 

"Why don't you tell us about life in the community." Dean suggested, his hands wrapped around his coffee cup. 

"What is there to know? You must have lived in a community, and it would be much like mine." You argued, earning a slight chuckle from Sam.

"We didn't really live in a community. Dad tried, but we didn't fit it's life, and soon we lived on the road." Dean muttered, frowning at the memories running through his mind. 

"I'm sorry. It might seem strict and full of rules, but a compound is always a place of comfort and help. It seems as if you could have used that growing up." You comforted him, but with a shake of his head he pulled his hand away from you. 

"No, a compound was a place both Sam and I didn't fit in. Where my Dad came home drunk more often than not. We were laughed at, and ridiculed, and I've never wanted to go back." Dean grumbled, just as the food arrived. Taking a bite of your food, you couldn't believe how good it was.

"I'm sorry your experience wasn't good." You answered softly. "I've never experienced anything but, so I don't have anything to base it off of."

Silence followed your comment, as the three of you dug into your breakfasts. You had to admit, the diner food was good, so much better than you had ever expected.

"What do we do next?" You asked when Dean tossed down cash onto the table to cover food.

"Supply run. Need anything?" He asked you, and you shook your head. You might not have the fanciest clothes, but they were yours.

"Just food to cook with." You answered.

It was only a short distance to the store, and when Dean pulled up to it, you were once again staring in surprise. "This is a store?"

"You never got out of the compound, did you?" Dean asked you, and you shook your head.

"No. Everything we needed was provided in there, and we didn't have the need." You explained, not missing the look between both brothers. If you didn't know any better, you would have thought they were communicating without words.

"Y/N, have you ever gone on a hunt before?" Sam asked you, and you could see how interested they were in your answer.

Hanging your head in shame, you spoke so softly they almost didn't hear you. "No I haven't."

"Damn it!" Dean cussed, scaring you. "What good is all the training if they never give you actual experience?"

"They did, but they mainly took the boys out to hunt. An occasional girl. But since my Dad was the leader, they figured I would never need the experience. But I'm willing to try! I know how to handle weapons, and I'm not scared of monsters."

"How do you know? You've never faced one." Dean grumbled, running his hand down his face.

"Please don't be mad." You whispered, wondering if this was the end of your marriage before it had even started.

"Sweetheart, I'm not mad. Just frustrated. It's not your fault." Dean answered, surprising both you and his brother. "But for now, let's just get this shopping trip over with."

Walking beside him as you entered the huge store, you couldn't believe everything they carried. Food and clothing. Housewares and shoes. Everything you could ever need lay inside this store.

Dean let you take charge in the food section, telling you to grab whatever you wanted. With meals already planned in your head, you tossed meat and vegetables, and anything else you could think of. Plenty of fruit,  for the pies you planned on baking.

Heading to the housewares, Dean explained. "Get whatever you need. Our pans and everything are old. And whatever you want to make it seem more homey. I'm going to the hunting section."

Picking out a colorful quilt, along with some towels and kitchen utensils, you made your way towards the hunting department when two men stopped in front of you. "Well hello there pretty girl." The first man said, and you tried pushing past him, but he reached out, grabbing your cart.

"We just want to talk." The other man said, stepping closer to you.

"I need to meet up with my husband." You insisted, but they weren't listening.

"Why don't you come with us?" They offered, and you shook your head. Pulling roughly on your arm, they took you away from your cart.

"The lady said no." Dean growled, his hands forming fists. With a new threat, they scampered off, and you rubbed the sore skin. "You okay?"

"Are all men out of the compound like that?" You asked, almost in tears. Everything had changed so fast in your life, and being threatened by those men were the last straw.

"Hell no. Those were pigs, not men." Dean answered, pulling you into his embrace. Holding you tight, exactly like you needed.

"This life is so different." You whispered, staring up at him. "What if I don't fit in?"

"You will. Just give it time. You'll fall in love with the freedom of being away from the hunting communities." Dean mumbled, just as Sam came over, his arms full of books and clothes. "Just give it time."