Chapter 20

It felt amazing to be by Dean's side once more. You hadn't realized exactly how much you had come to care for Dean until you had seen him standing there, next to his shiny black car. The man had come for you, trying to rescue you from the Devil himself. No doubt ready to drive into the burning community, just to find you and make sure you were safe.

An arranged marriage had always been your future, and you had become resolved at an early age that you would be married to some man that probably would never hold your heart. That's why it was such a relief to be married to Dean. Sure, he was gruff at times, and at the beginning he had tried pushing you away. But underneath that tough hunter's exterior was a man with a gentle heart, and a kind soul. A man you had fallen in love with almost instantly.

"You're awfully quiet." He whispered as he drove down the highway, the nearest town visible in front of you.

"Sorry." You apologized. "Just a lot has happened lately, and I'm still trying to figure it all out. And I'm worried about my friend."

Glancing worriedly into the back of the car, you saw your friend laying there, pale and bloody. Too pale for your liking, and you knew time was of the essence. "We're almost to whatever the hell this town is named. They should have some sort of hospital that we can drop her off at." Dean muttered, as you entered city limits.

"We're just going to drop her off?" You freaked, not wanting to leave your friend behind. She was the only good thing left from your old life, and you weren't ready to part with her until you could make sure she was okay.

"Y/N, I know you want to stay with her, and under other circumstances, I wouldn't mind. But Sam and Cas are dealing with end of the world type stuff, and I promised them that as soon as I saved you, I would come back. It could already be too late." He explained, tearing your heart in two.

Taking a deep breath, you nodded, knowing he was right. Your friend would be in safe hands, and you could always come find her once Lucifer's plan was disbanded. "Okay." You answered, and he gave you a smile just as he turned into the emergency section of the hospital.

Leaving him to gently pick up your friend, you raced inside for help. Seeing a nurse standing off to the side, you ran over to her. "Ma'am, you have to help me! My friends hurt bad."

"Miss, what's going on?" The nurse asked, just as Dean came rushing through the doors, you friend hanging limp in his arms. "Get a stretcher!" The nurse exclaimed, rushing into action. Standing back, you watched as the placed her on the stretcher, steering her down the hallway and away from you. Closing your eyes, you sent a prayer up to heaven that she would be alright. That the two of you would find each other again someday.

"Miss, you need to come with me, fill out these forms." The receptionist said as she tried to guide you towards her desk. One glance at Dean, and you knew that wasn't a good idea. He no doubt wanted no ties to what happened miles away from this city. And that included filling out paperwork at the hospital.

"I need a minute." You spoke up, letting your eyes fill up with tears. It was easy to do, with how much your life had changed, how many people that you had witnessed dying. "Please."

The receptionist softened her tone, guiding you to one of the chairs near the door, as Dean came and sat down next to you. "It's just been a rough day." He offered the receptionist. "Give us a couple of minutes, and we'll be fine."

Nodding, she went back to her desk, and Dean waited for the moment her attention turned away. As soon as she turned around, her back to the door, he had your hand in his, pulling you through the automatic doors. "We just have no idea if she's using aliases, and we don't have time to give our statements." He explained as you climbed into the Impala.

"I understand." You answered, as the Impala roared to life, leaving your friend behind.

An hour passed, and you sat there, cuddled into the corner of the passenger seat, watching the scenery fly by. Dean was driving at least ten miles over the speed limit, and you could tell by the clench of his jaw that he was nervous and worried. "Dean, you should have stayed with your brother." You whispered. Because no matter how glad you were that Dean had come to save you, you couldn't have the guilt of his brother's death on your hands. The apocalypse starting because Dean had been too worried about you. "You should have left me at the hands of Lucifer if it meant saving the world."

Reaching over, he grasped your hand. "No, I couldn't do that. Y/N, in the brief time we've been married, I've come to care for you. When Lucifer took you, I was beside myself, and it was then I realized exactly how much you meant to me. Y/N, I love you. And I couldn't have you as Lucifer's puppet. Sam and Cas will be fine."

You couldn't believe it. While you had figured for quite some time that you were in love with your green-eyed hunter, you couldn't believe that he would be in love with you as well. A simple, naïve girl that had been pushed on him without a choice. A girl that knew a little about hunting, but was still a great risk to him and the only life he had ever known.

"Listen, I know it's still early in our relationship, and you've been forced to be with me. I'll understand if you don't feel the same." He muttered, hurt making his voice even deeper.

"Dean, I wasn't pausing because I don't love you. Because I do. I think I've loved you from almost the minute we arrived in the bunker. I was just surprised that you felt the same. I've completely turned your life upside down, and brought you nothing but trouble."

"You've brought me more than trouble. You've brought me hope and a belief that maybe my life isn't meant to be lonely. Because of you I feel like there is a purpose besides hunting now." He answered, before his phone rang.

Feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, you couldn't control the smile on your face, knowing that your arranged marriage had actually turned into a marriage with love. But that smile soon faded as you heard the conversation coming from Dean.

"Sam, we're on our way.... What do you mean it's too late?" Dean grumbled. "No, that can't be right!"

{