[ t e n ]

[ 6 YEARS AGO | PAST ] 

a/n: this is still in past-tense and also still in taehyung's POV.

"You wanted to talk?" 

Sujin sat in across the dining table, and I held the newborn in my arms. She gulped nervously, before her eyes met mine. They were glassy, and she looked distressed. It took her a while to get settled back into school work, since it was the last year before going into university. 

The last time she was able to sit with the two of us for dinner was the first night Yoojung came home. The last time she looked alive was before she got pregnant with Yoojung. The last time she looked happy was before we committed this mistake.

"I'm going abroad, to study at med school." She began, and I frowned.

"You're joking, right?" I laughed a little, but my smile only faltered when she kept her serious look on her face. "You're just going to leave us, is that what you had in mind?"

She slowly nodded her head. "I have to go, I already paid my tuition, all I have to do is pack my things and―"

"And leave. Leave us, leave me, leave Yoojung who is, by the way, your own blood, your own daughter.. just for med school." I cut her off, and she sighed.

"Taehyung, I'm doing this for our family. If I don't study abroad and get a good job, who's going to raise this family? You don't even attend classes anymore." She scoffed, "on top of that, it's almost like you don't even care about your future, well let me give you a reality check, Yoojung is not going to survive if you don't have any cash flow."

I furrowed my eyebrows in anger, shaking my head, "don't use me as an excuse, Sujin. We both know that I'm the only one who's been caring for our child, while you're out and about doing whatever you desire."

"But I'm doing this for the family, do you not understand? I've been working late night shifts just to get food in that child's mouth, and on top of that, I've been kicked out of my own home just so that I can raise that child―"

"You speak like Yoojung isn't even your child." I interrupted her. "And you speak to me as if I'm useless, as if I'm stupid, well let me give you a reality check, you've never acted as a mother the moment Yoojung came out of your womb. All you've done was care about yourself, and now you're leaving to go to another country to study.. all for yourself."

"If that's what you think of me, then fine." She rolled her eyes. "I didn't even want to start a family with you, this was all a mistake. She was a mistake. You were a mistake."

"We don't need you, especially Yoojung. You don't deserve to be her mother if you're so selfish. I'm pretty sure you know where your things are, especially where the door is to leave." I tried to calm myself down from being so angry.