chapter one

| Manhattan, New York |

"Alright, here you go ma'am," Jungkook announcing with a smile, sitting down the customer's order. "You enjoy."

Jungkook was busy working an eight-hour shift at the diner, dealing with hungry customers and their endless demands. Running back in forth was an everyday hassle, but it was a relief that it was almost 3 o'clock. Once his shift is over, he can go pick up his son, Taemin.

Jungkook checked on his other tables before he went back into the kitchen to start getting his things ready. As he's packing his stuff, his manager knocks on the door of the break room.

Jungkook turns around startled. "Oh, you scared me," Jungkook said with a nervous smile.

"Yeah, sorry about that. How are your tables," Yoongi asked.

"Fine, I just checked on them. I was just getting my things ready," Jungkook replied.

Yoongi looks at his watch then back at Jungkook. "Well, ten minutes won't hurt anybody. You can go ahead and go if you'd like. I'll make sure to get someone to take over your tables."

"Really," Jungkook asked. He had only been working at the for two months. He and his two sons had been living back home in South Korea for five years. Jungkook decided to move to New York this time for the many job opportunities and being close to friends.

"No worries, just be sure to get your tips before you leave," Yoongi said.

"Alright, thank you Yoongi," Jungkook said with a bright smile. He grabbed his backpack and waved good-bye to Yoongi. He got his tips and called for a taxi.

After getting a taxi's attention, Jungkook made his way inside the car and asked the driver to take him to the elementary school a couple blocks down the street. Jungkook sat in the back taking off his apron and placing it inside his backpack. He notices a picture falls out and he picks it up.

It is a picture that was taken years ago. Jungkook is almost surprised to find the picture in his backpack, but mainly sad. It's him and his family at the park. They had taken family pictures that day. On the right is Jungkook sitting on a bench and holding his son, Jihun, in his arms. On the left is his ex-husband, Taehyung, sitting their oldest son, Jay, on his lap.

The picture brings back bittersweet memories for Jungkook, but he quickly pulls away when the taxi stops at the elementary school. Jungkook carefully places the picture back into his backpack and gets out of the car. The bell rings and the kids begin to walk and run out of the front doors, a wave of chatter filling Jungkook's ears. Jungkook's eye search the crowd of kids for his son. Jungkook finally locks eyes on the little boy wearing a denim jacket and a pink hat and smiles.

"Taemin," Jungkook calls out.

Taemin finds Jungkook's eyes and runs toward his dad. Jungkook holds his hands out for Taemin and brings his son in for a big hug.

"How was school today," Jungkook asks, taking Taemin's bookbag and guiding him into the taxi.

"It was super fun! Today we got to sing songs and color! I brought my drawing, daddy. It's in my bookbag. Get it out," Taemin says all in one breath.

"Alright, give me one second," says Jungkook, closing the car door and getting Taemin seat belted. He starts opening his backpack and pulls out his folder where his drawing is.

"Look at it daddy," Taemin exclaims.

"I am, Tae. It looks beautiful," Jungkook says.

It is a drawing of their family. Taemin is the smallest, the one on his left Jay, and next to Jay is Jungkook. However, there is someone next to Jungkook.

"Taemin, who is this," Jungkook asks, puzzled at who Taemin drew.

"That's my mommy," Taemin replies, pointing at the girl in the picture.

Jungkook turns his head to look at his son. "Tae, you don't have a mommy."

"Well...why don't I have a mommy," Taemin asks.

"That's because instead of a mommy, you have two daddies. I think that makes you sort of special," Jungkook replies with a smile.

"Then how come I don't know my other daddy," Taemin asks innocently.

Jungkook sighs and looks at Taemin who is waiting on an answer. "Your other daddy isn't around anymore. He left our family before you were born."

"Is he coming back?"

Jungkook strokes Taemin's cheek. "I don't think so, Tae."

___________________________

Jungkook and Taemin arrive at home and Taemin runs to the couch. He immediately throws away his backpack, gets the remote, and turns on his favorite cartoon. Jungkook goes into the kitchen and places his backpack on the kitchen table and starts opens the refrigerator to get a water bottle. The front door opens and Jungkook notices that Jay has got back from school.

Jay drops his backpack in his room and walks into the living room. "Tae, give me the remote. I need to watch something," Jay says to his little brother.

"No, I got it first," Taemin replies, pouting his lips and holding the remote firmly.

"Tae, I said give me the remote. You can watch your cartoons later," Jay says, raising his voice.

"Jay, leave your brother alone," says Jungkook. Jay turns to look at his father and gives him a face.

"Whatever," says Jay before walking back to his room and closing the door.

Taemin goes back to watching the television like nothing had happened. Jungkook sets down his water bottle and goes to Jay's room. He opens his door to find his son laying on his bed scrolling through his phone. Jay acts like he doesn't see his father at the door.

"How was school," Jungkook asks.

"Fine," Jay mutters.

Jungkook pauses for a moment while Jay keeps clicking his phone. "Who are you texting?"

"Nobody."

Jungkook sighs, once again tired of the same conversations with his oldest son. "Why won't you talk to me when I talk to you, Jay? You weren't like this before."

"Why don't you leave me alone? I'm not a little kid like Taemin anymore. I don't need you worrying about me," Jay replies without breaking gaze with his phone.

Jungkook shakes his head in disappointment. "Fine, do what you want. I'll call you when dinner is ready."

No reply.

Jungkook closes the door behind him and makes his way back to the kitchen.

Jay continues scrolling down his feed, catching up with what's going on. At a certain post, Jay pauses. He hardens his face when he reads this article:

Kim Taehyung Album Signing at Manhattan, NY

Pop sensation, Kim Taehyung, will be in Manhattan, New York tomorrow afternoon for an album signing for his fans. Admission is free for everyone and albums will be sold at the event. We hope to see you there!

Jay clicks out of the article and continues scrolling. Jay tries to avoid any news about his father, but finds it impossible considering how famous he is around the world. Jay tries to shake it off like he does every time, but this time is harder. He can't fathom the idea that Taehyung will be coming to Manhattan. His event won't be too far away from home.

Jay turns off his phone and closes his eyes. He hopes he can fall asleep and when he wakes up he can forget that his father left him for something he deems better than his own son.

****

And I'm back to writing! It has been a while since I've been on Wattpad again.

Picture of Taemin is included at the top.

Anyways, I hope you guys are excited for this book. It's my first Taekook fanfiction so leave your thoughts in the comments and vote! Thanks!

- A.