chapter sixteen

| Manhattan, NY |

The next day, Taehyung waited for Jungkook to finish his shift at the diner so that they could finally talk. Taehyung was talking with his manager, Namjoon, on the phone when Jungkook opened the front door of the house. Jungkook walked inside the kitchen and left his keys on the table before he realized that Taehyung was in the living room on the phone. 

"Alright, yeah we can finish that up in the upcoming week. See you then. Bye." Taehyung hanged up and met Jungkook's eyes on him. 

"Oh, it was just work," Taehyung explained. 

"I figured," Jungkook said. He started walking  towards his room. "Just let me change and we can go pick up Taemin from school."

Once Jungkook was out of his work clothes and into his street clothes, he came out of his room with Taehyung waiting quietly. Taehyung had on a black hat that hid most of his hair and a pair of sunglasses sitting in the middle of his shirt. This was his way to hid his appearance from the public. 

"You ready," Jungkook asked Taehyung as he grabbed his keys again. Taehyung nodded. 

They both walked outside the front door, with Jungkook leading the way. 

"Are we taking your car," Taehyung asked, closing the door behind him. 

Jungkook shook his head. "I usually walk to the school. It isn't too far."

The sound of passing vehicles filled the silence between them for a while. Nobody said a word to each other as they walked down the streets of Manhattan. Taehyung needed to talk, but couldn't find the best way to start the conversation. After yesterday's incident, he felt like that was enough for Jungkook, but this couldn't wait. 

"So, are you going to tell me what you flew out here to say or what," Jungkook asked out of the blue. 

"Yeah, yeah. I just couldn't find the perfect way to say it," Taehyung said, startled that Jungkook started the conversation.

"Well, just tell me. I know it probably has something to do with the kids," Jungkook said.

"Yeah...it does." Taehyung was silent for a moment, trying to think of how to say what he needed to say. Jungkook looked concern at Taehyung. "What is it, Taehyung?"

"There needs to be some changes on how we do this. We agreed that I could be a part of Taemin's and Jay's lives again and you could do the same with Jihun. But every time you choose to walk away because it gets difficult, you push me away," Taehyung confessed. 

Jungkook shook his head in disbelief. "Wait, where is this coming from, Taehyung? We agreed on this for the sake of the boys, but I still have the final say. The boys don't need anymore drama and stress than there already is. And don't forget, we're in this mess because of you," Jungkook argued. 

"Jungkook, I'm just done playing the villain in the situation. I am trying to do better here, but nobody seems willing to cut me some slack. All I want is to be a good father and you keep taking that chance from me."

"Oh, when have I taken that chance from you? You're the one who threw it away years ago!"

Jungkook noticed some faces turned at their direction and he quieted down, but was still angry. Taehyung buried his hat deeper on his head. 

"Before you left California you said that would needed a break from me. You blocked me and I had no chance to see Taemin and Jay for a while. How do you think I felt? I thought you weren't going to let me see them again," Taehyung said. 

Jungkook shook his head. "Quit exaggerating. You just hate when things don't go your way."

"I just want things to be fair, Jungkook," Taehyung replied. 

"Alright, then," Jungkook said with his arms crossed. He stopped walking and looked at Taehyung. They were a few feet away from the school at that point. "What do you propose is fair?"

"I want to feel equal in this commitment. I want to see Taemin and Jay without you denying me from seeing them," Taehyung began. "I'd like them to stay with me whenever it's possible. I want my time to spend with them without you watching over like a hawk. I just want the chance to be a father to them."

"What you're asking for is too much, Taehyung. I'm not letting them fly across the country so they can spend the whole time with you when you're not even going to be around. You're always working! Who will take care of Taemin," Jungkook argued. 

"I'll make the time, Jungkook. They come first. And I won't be doing this alone," Taehyung said. 

"Oh, who's going to help out? The maid," Jungkook asked sarcastically. 

"Hoseok will help. He's good with kids and he likes them like if they were his own children. He loves me enough to make me happy," Taehyung replied. 

"Oh, please Taehyung. Hoseok only met them for a weekend and all he did was play around with them. Did you ever see him give Taemin a bath or tuck him goodnight? Why would you even think I would be okay with him playing housewife with them," Jungkook said. 

"Because we're getting married, Jungkook."

The words coming from Taehyung seemed to bounce off of Jungkook. He didn't know what to say. 

"I asked Hoseok to marry me and I'd like him to be a part of the family, not just to me and Jihun, but for you guys as well," Taehyung said. 

The school bell rang and soon enough the doors started opening. Jungkook looked at Taehyung with disbelief. 

"I don't know what to tell you, Taehyung. I'm not turning my life around to fit your needs again. Either things stay the way they are or you can just go. Live your happily ever after and I'll live mine with Jay and Taemin," Jungkook said angrily. 

"Daddy! Papa!" Taemin's voice caught Jungkook's attention. He was running towards them and Taehyung's chest grew heavy. He didn't want to say goodbye to his son. 

Taehyung turned his attention back to Jungkook with teary eyes. "If you're going to be like this then fine. I won't stop you, but this is the last time you push me away."

Jungkook looked back at Taehyung, who was fighting back the tears. 

"I am marrying Hoseok, and if you want to keep me away, I'll make sure you come out of this with nothing," Taehyung said through gritted teeth. 

"What are you talking about," Jungkook asked Taehyung with worried eyes. 

"I'm suing you for full custody. If you want me to play the villain, then I'll let you keep playing the victim."

Taehyung walked away from Jungkook without another word. He didn't turn back when Taemin called out for him. When Taemin asked Jungkook why Taehyung had left, Jungkook looked at Taemin with a heavy heart. 

****

We're at a turning point in the story now! Things are getting intense between Jungkook and Taehyung. 

How do you guys feel about Taehyung saying he's going to fight for full custody? How do you feel about the impending marriage between Taehyung and Hoseok? Let me know in the comments and remember to vote!

Until next time!

- A.