chapter thirty-five

| Angeles National Forest, CA |

Jungkook's phone had been ringing nonstop throughout the ride in the Uber driver's car. The caller was persistent, but Jungkook had his mind strictly occupied on getting Taemin back. Once the driver stopped and the car was parked in front of a old-looking house placed in the middle of nowhere, Jungkook's thoughts snapped into place and determination ran through his bones. 

The small house looked to be abandoned with very little else except for a lot of weeds in the yard and trees surrounding the area, tall enough to block most of the visible sky. Jungkook's heart was pounding hard in his chest as he familiarized himself with the area, locating any sign of movement through the dust-covered windows.

His phone rang again and this time Jungkook pulled it out to answer. He saw the name of the caller on his phone and placed it next to his ear without taking his eyes off of the house. 

"Hello?"

"Jungkook, where are you," Taehyung's voice said, which sounded worried. The connection was weak since there wasn't much service in that area of the forest.

"I'm going to rescue Taemin. I have to do this alone. I've been warned to come alone. I'll call you once I got him," Jungkook said in a quiet tone, afraid to think that someone might know that he's here already. 

"Wait, Jungkook-", Jungkook had ended the call before Taehyung could finish. 

Jungkook put the phone on silent and placed it back into his pocket. Then with small and careful steps he approached the house. 

Jungkook continued to scan the house for any sign or sound that someone was there. At the entrance was a small set of stairs to the door. He began to take a step, but instantly his first step caused a squeak. Jungkook winced at the sound, worried that it would give him away. Jungkook paused for a second and continued up, slower this time. 

He reached the door and carefully placed his ear next to it, hoping to hear anything that might be behind the door. No sound, no footsteps, no Taemin crying for help. Jungkook had no other choice, but to turn the doorknob. As assumed, the door was unlocked and Jungkook opened it until he had enough view of the inside of the house.

The place looked barren, with a dark and spooky feel to the house. There was no light and no furniture. The house must've been abandoned years ago, with no sign of anyone occupying the place. Around the ceiling were various cobwebs and dirt was scattered throughout the wooden floor. 

Jungkook entered the house with quiet footsteps and his senses alert for anyone or anything. If someone was here, they were hiding. Since the inside of the house was dark, Jungkook had to focus more on his vision to see even the smallest detail. He concentrated his ears for the sound of Taemin or silent footsteps. Or worse, the faint sound on the safety of a gun coming off. 

In the front was the kitchen, but there was nothing there that Jungkook could see. More towards the right was a hallway that appeared dark with very little access to see what led down there. Jungkook continued in slowly, watching for anything that might come out. He made his way to the beginning of the hallway and saw two door that led to different rooms. It was dark there with only light from the main room to help Jungkook's sight. He listened in for a second, but there was still only silence. 

Jungkook started walking through the hallway and quietly peeked into the first room. The room looked empty until he turned his attention to the closet in the room. The door to it was closed, but Jungkook could see some light inside through the space under the door. Jungkook thought that someone must've put some lighting inside since the whole house had no electricity. 

Jungkook was cautious though. If someone had gotten some light in there that meant that someone has been here or is indeed in the house. Jungkook made sure not to make any sound with his footsteps as he walked closer to the door of the closet. As soon as he was able to reach the door, he began to slowly turn the knob. 

Jungkook jerked his hand away in fear and the closet door opened all the way by itself. On the floor of the closet was Taemin with his hands and feet tied up with rope that was bearing down tightly on his skin. There was duct tape placed on his mouth and the little boy was unconscious. There was no physical bruises or blood on him, but Jungkook's eyes began to tear up at the sight of his precious son sitting there lifelessly. 

In a split second, Jungkook's senses made no sense as he felt a strong blow on his body that knocked him to the side and into the ground. Jungkook's head ached in pain and confusion and panic ran throughout his body. As soon as Jungkook's head eased on the dizziness, he looked up to see a shadowing figure towering over him. 

Before he could react, the figure kicked Jungkook in his ribs which sent waves of pain. Jungkook shouted from the impact and his body felt weak and out of breath. 

"The hood of the jacket covered the figure's identity and Jungkook began to fear for his life. He was instantly lifted up and thrown back to the ground. He let out a cry of pain. He tried to get up, but the figure pressed their foot hard on Jungkook's arm, making him unable to move. Then Jungkook felt something hard and metallic point right at the side of his head. Jungkook instantly stopped, paralyzed with fear. 

"Who are you," Jungkook said shakenly as he was panting from exhaustion and pain.

The hooded figure removed his foot, but kept the gun pressed on Jungkook as he crouched down next to Jungkook. The figure threw the hood of his head, revealing his face. Jungkook's eyes widened at the sight of his attacker, who had a smile placed on his lips.

****

The next few chapters will be intense, I hope you guys are excited!!

Leave your thoughts in the comments and remember to vote! Until next time!

- A.