No. 1 Party Anthem

quick author's note: i will place this little thing where i highly suggest you start playing 'No. 1 Party Anthem' by Arctic Monkeys on repeat. it'll kinda help the events flow better for you guys! i'm also attaching a youtube link with the song audio for readers who don't have quick and easy access to the song!

I now stood in the black chiffon dress, away in a secluded area by the bar, talking to Xander after the dinner part of the evening had concluded. I managed to get the venue half priced than it was originally requested to be rented out for because the people who own the place are some of my oldest friends.

It was a large venue that Jack was hesitant about booking because he didn't think there would be enough guests to fill it but his expectations were exceeded when he realized both sides of family were showing up.

One side of the venue had windows ranging from the ceiling to the floor. A few of the windows had French glass doors that led out to a patio that overlooked the Pacific, so if things got too stuffy then the doors could be opened and let in some fresh air.

The mood inside was set with dim lighting and the DJ had filled the walls of the venue with whispered tunes while Luke and his band set up their instruments. I hadn't even bothered to say hi to them since they arrived at the venue.

"How's...Sofia?" I was terrible with names so I silently prayed I said the right name. I also didn't want to offend him if I slipped up and said one of the names of his old flings.

"She's well!" Xander took a sip of what smelt to be bourbon. "She's actually on her way over...should be here any minute. You get a date?"

"Nah, no one captured my attention enough to bring them out to this festivity." Really, my only options for a date were my dad or Luke because I didn't seek out anyone.

"Well, lucky you because there's Dick," He pointed out to one of the tables. "He's been ogling you for the last hour. Go talk to him."

Dick, my ex-boyfriend. What was he even doing here?

We broke up a little over a year ago on pretty bad terms and he was dad to me and my family, so his appearance here was odd. His real name is Richard. He liked going by the nickname "Rich," but the teenagers in the city of Malibu declared him "Dick" after we all realized what an actual dick he was. He went from "Rich" to "Dick" over night.

I spent a good two years of my life with him and as I looked back, I was not even sure why. It was precious time I wasted with someone who didn't give a shit about me. We all come across people like that, so lesson learned.

We tried to stay friends after the break up that I, in fact, made happen, but it just resulted in petty arguments every day. And he still held some hope that we would ultimately get back together. He was convinced we actually weren't broken up, but taking a break from each other. Though, I wrote it out clearly that there was no hope for reconciliation a good number of times.

He cheated on me with numerous amounts of girls, even taking it as far as hooking up with a girl in San Diego the day of my 18th birthday, leaving my anxiety at its worst because I had no clue why he stood me up for his "amazingly thought-out birthday date." Then the next school day, rumors surfaced and I felt like the world kicked me to the ground and everyone laughed in unison because I was an absolute idiot for letting him do this to me. His Instagram and Twitter were full of girls I simply couldn't compete with. And he managed to make me feel wholly terrible about myself but still somehow pick me up and make me feel invincible.

It took me some time to finally free myself of him. I kept going back with the hopes of a positive outcome only to be greeted each time with failure. In the back of my mind I knew it was an unhealthy habit and I knew I needed to cut all ties but my heart didn't want to give up two years worth of a relationship. But the day finally came when I came to my senses and ended it. At that point, I was numb and ended things almost cold-heartedly. I didn't believe he deserved an end in any happy way. Since that day, I hadn't bothered to find anyone else. I took my time and I healed, but still held a great amount of anger towards him.