College

A lot could change in the span of two weeks. Like trust, anxieties, sleeping habits, and the levels of one's moodiness. As I felt myself drifting further and further away from Luke, I longed to be in New York more. As I tried to figure out how to go about Ashton's technically, nontechnical ex messaging me randomly on Twitter, I wanted to be far away from Malibu and all it had to offer. But the idiotic section of my heart forgave Ashton and tried not to think anything of it. Did I forgive him because I knew I was losing Luke? Maybe. I was scared to be alone.

Time spent apart from Ashton was spent with Xander's girlfriend, trying to create the incredible experience of female empowerment and company in my life. Sofia was the sister I wished that Ana was. Fingers crossed she wouldn't disappoint me eventually, as everyone in my life did.

Sofia and I had just gotten in from a day of shopping and eating some of the most amazing food, her parents owned a restaurant somewhere along PCH. In return, Ashton and Xander got to know each other a little better, spending their time in the house, doing whatever two guys thought was valuable with their time.

"You've hogged Sofia all weekend. You should think about returning her." Xander wrapped his arms around Sofia's waist from behind. "I hope you aren't brainwashing her into dating you instead. I think everyone in this house knows I'm the better Kozma."

"Debatable."

"He might have a point, Talia." Ashton playfully defended my brother. I rolled my eyes.

"Sure." I feigned annoyance as I watched Xander walk off with Sofia.

"How was your day?" Ashton walked with me to my bedroom, taking my shopping bags and setting them on my desk before tackling me onto my bed.

"My day was nice." I chuckled as we altered our bodies until we were met with comfort in the position our bodies molded into. Ashton placed gentle kisses on each of my fingers. "What did you and Xander do all day?"

"For the first hour we annoyed your mom after she was shamelessly flirted with me. Then we ordered Chinese, we watched a movie, I helped him think up a possible date night for him and Sofia tonight. It was nice hanging out with a guy I'm not stuck in a band with."

"My mother is crazy."

"I need someone to flirt with me when you're not around."

"Ah, I have a needy boyfriend."

"Oh, ha-ha-ha. Make fun of the small blond boy."

"More like massive blonde boy." I corrected.

Ashton smirked and I knew I made the wrong choice of wording, "In more ways than one."

"You're so disgusting." He released his signature giggle and I pushed him away gently, making our bodies separate so I moved further away and placed a pillow between us. I cuddled into the pillow.

"I missed you a lot today." He laced our fingers together, resting our hands on the pillow between us. "More than usual."

"Same. As soon as I left, I began to wonder why I even decided to leave you today."

-

"How's everything?" Mom looked up from her plate. Dinner was simple tonight, just some chicken and other random sides she threw together, making it one of the easiest and quickest meals I had ever seen her make. She always spent hours in the kitchen preparing dinner, so to see her spend less than thirty minutes on food was a complete shocker.

We all mumbled positive responses with months full of food.

This was the only moment that the whole family minus Ana would be here in my presence. I'd have to break the college news now or never. It was a matter of staying or leaving at this point.

"Well, I've applied to college." I heard a few gulps, maybe even chokes. I heard forks drop on plates and throats being cleared. Not exactly the kind of moment I had pictured in my head, but I'd accept it anyway. "I applied to the Art Institute of New York City..." I looked over to Ashton who was shooting me a supportive look. I then looked to Xander, who I would've expected the same look on his face, but instead he gave me a dumbfounded look. He wasn't the best at acting surprised since he had known for months at this point and I almost burst into laughter. "I'll start in August, studying fashion design."

"I believe Talia has a good eye for fashion. I think the city is a good place for her study and get inspired." Ashton supported. Ana muttered an mhm in response.

"What about the company? We're about to sign at least five contracts for partnerships. You can't just leave." Surely, my dad would only be concerned about his work right now.

"Xander is perfectly capable of assisting you. Even mom could. She used to do it before you guys had Ana."

Everyone sat in silence. My dad pondered my comment, taking harsh gulps of his wine. Xander's eyes flickered through everyone at the table, he almost looked like a silly cartoon waiting for some drama to happen. He wanted someone to yell at someone, and he wanted someone to end up in tears. Likely, it would be me to end up in tears if anything. Next to Xander, Sofia carelessly ate her dinner. It wasn't her family, so she technically had nothing to worry about, she had no one to really defend. She hadn't known me or my family long enough to put up a fight.

"I think it's a great idea!" My mom finally spoke up, clapping her hands together.

Xander's shoulders dropped. I guess he was just waiting for one of our parents to give their blessings so he could do the same. "If it's the next step you want to take then you have my support, T."

"And what about you and Ashton?" My dad questioned. It seemed like he was trying to be petty and start an argument, but I was going to try my hardest to be rational in the situation.

"He'll be touring by then. We can Facetime, text, email...We have so many options in this decade."

"I don't know..." My dad set his wine glass down. "It's comforting to know you're right here in Malibu. You should go to the school in Los Angeles."

"I literally do nothing when I'm California. I'm not going to sit here and count down the days until Ashton gets back from tour either." I stabbed my fork into the chicken breast on my plate. "I need to do something. Anything. I need to get away."

"It would benefit her a lot." Ashton added. "I told her, leaving Australia was the best decision I could've made."

"I'll think about it." My dad wasn't going to give this up yet.

"I already got accepted. I already applied for my classes. So, whether you like it or not, I'm going." I stood, dramatically pushing my seat out and throwing my napkin on top of my dinner plate. I was done with the conversation for today. "Thank you for dinner, mom."

"Excuse us...Lena...Lukas..." Ashton followed suit, nodding to my parents. He was hot on my heels as I marched to my bedroom.

Where I wanted to slam the door to prove a point, Ashton carefully closed it and locked it, not making a single sound besides the doorknob clicking to lock.

I cupped my face with my hands as my bottom hit my mattress.

"Let's talk about it."