Goodbye's & Gifts

August 1, 2014

"Flight to Ontario boards in five minutes." That stupid robotic voice echoed through the busy airport. The airport was full of many more business looking people than families or fans. This made the goodbye more romantic in a way - or something more important that would only be shared between Ashton, myself, and men in suits, dragging their luggage.

"That's my cue." Ashton took a long exhale, his cheeks filling with air as he did so. "We can do this." He reminded, grabbing either of my shoulders.

"I'm not saying we can't."

"But you're thinking it." He countered. Anyone put to the test in their relationship would think it. We were programmed to think these things wouldn't withstand distance. "Look, any chance I get where I have multiple days off, I will be back here. There's no where I'd rather be."

"I know." My voice cracked and I wanted to slap myself across the face.

"I love you." He pulled me into a hug, pressing a kiss on my head.

"I love you too."

"I'll call you once I'm settled in Ontario, okay?" We pulled from the hug, his hands cupped my face and his lips gave my forehead an uncounted total of reassuring kisses before going down to my lips. "I love you so much."

"Sir, we have to go." Ashton's body-guard interrupted and Ashton gave the man a nod.

"Until we meet again, T." The man pulled Ashton away, tearing our hands apart.

The taxi drive back the apartment was quiet and lonely and not a drive I was happy to take.

My legs wouldn't make it up the stairs so the elevator was the only option for a lazy individual.

"Are you okay, Talia?" Dick was also in the elevator going up with a bag of groceries.

"I'm good." This thing couldn't go fast enough.

"I'm here if you need to talk." There was no such thing as talking when it came to Dick. You were either fucking him or ignoring him and he knew that. That was how devious he could be.

I kicked my shoes off, lying on Ashton's acclaimed side of the bed. The pillow still smelled like him and I think my lip was almost bleeding from trying to bite back tears. I shifted to my side, tucking one hand under the pillow. This would've been more graceful if I didn't end up with a cut on one of my fingers because of something underneath the pillow. I sat up as I pulled out the evil thing that tried to murder me. It was a few papers folded neatly together, that said 'Talia' on the top.

I know you're probably lying on my side of the bed right now, fighting tears, baby, it's okay to cry. I know you hate crying, not because you think it's a sign of weakness, but because the tip of your nose goes red, your eyes get puffy, and your breathing goes all off. Just let it all out, because I can assure you that while you read this letter I'm doing the same thing wherever I am. It all seems silly because we'll see each other soon - sooner than you think. I'm trying to write this letter in the dark while you're sleeping, so I'm very sorry for how horrible this turns out.

Do you want to reminisce a bit? I think we should do that.

Remember that stunning black dress you wore at Ana's wedding? That's probably my favorite thing I've ever seen you in, it tops any of my shirts you wear. The moments before we drank too much alcohol are moments that are always replayed in my mind, they help me sleep at night. I still have the roll of photos we took in the photo booth that night, it's tucked away in my wallet. That night was the best night of my life. I found my sunshine in the midst of darkness.