Letter Four & School

August 20, 2014 [date received]

August 17, 2014 [date sent]

My Dearest Talia,

You'll notice the gap in the dates between letters, things have gotten crazy. Crazy as in busy. That'll explain why my phone calls and text messages have not been as often. I wish there was any other excuse I could give besides being busy, because anything sounds better than being busy.

The other night I got your mom's invitation for Xander's birthday dinner. We will be in Pasadena that day - September thirteenth - I will try to show up. If I can't, I'll send Xander a present.

I've mailed you two books from Washington DC, both are about the presidents, pretty boring, but pretty damn American of someone to have in their library. Then there is one from Philadelphia, it's about the events leading up to the American Revolution. And Michael picked out four books from Detroit, it's another time I can say I have no idea what they are about.

If this gets there in perfect timing to my calculations, then this will arrive your first day of college! I know you'll do well your first day. It can't be that bad, right? I know you're excited. You probably stayed up all night, tossing and turning, if I know you. Text me your schedule once you get it, so I know when to bug you and when to leave you be.

I love you.

Sincerely, the self appointed ruler of the world,

Ashton

I did the predictable actions with the pieces of literature before I changed into the outfit I had had planned out for weeks, comparable to someone planning out their outfit for their first day of high school. I picked the most comfortable pair of black jeans I owned, pairing them with my trusty ankle boots and a black loose-fitting tank top.

Dick blared a song I recognized to be one of One Direction, if my mind was not playing tricks on me, I thought I could hear him singing along to the track like he didn't have neighbors that could hear him. I hummed to the muffled melody as I dabbed on concealer under my eyes and coated my eyelashes with mascara. I braided my hair in a messy side braid before I deciding I was ready and no more effort to give today.

Ashton: I don't know if you're in class yet or not, but I hope you got the package and I hope your first day is going well. Xx
Talia: Thank you! The letter was lovely as always and the books are in their granted place. I'm about to head out.
Ashton: Okay baby. I'll stop texting you so you don't run into a pole. I love you
Talia: You're so sweet. Romance is surely alive. I love you too!

I swung on my backpack, going over the weight of it; my sure way of making sure I had everything I needed for the day. If my backpack weighed less than the night before I put things together then I was missing something. It was a weird tactic I had gone through every morning since high school. A blue jean jacket would supply me with warmth in the event of getting cold in the classrooms. Once more, I went over the mental list of everything I would need before I walked into the hallway and lock up.

"Off to school?"

I dropped my keys at the sound of Dick's voice. "Yeah..."

"Have a good day." I heard him say as I walked towards the stairs. Today would not be the day I'd end up in an elevator with Dick. It was too early for that.

-

Noelle proposed that Jet and I go to dinner with her in celebration of our first day of classes. I dressed up my outfit with a pair of black sandal heels that wouldn't make me look too over-done.