Before The Moment's Gone

• Dedicated to everyone

December 6, 2014 - Xander & Sofia's Wedding

For the second time in less than a year I was the bridesmaid and not the bride. It was starting to feel like I would always be the bridesmaid, maybe 27 Dresses was actually my biopic, minus the ending where the lead character finally got married. Two dresses down, twenty five to go.

Sofia, her family, and all the bridesmaids were at the venue the wedding was being held at. We were all in a room that had a view of the ocean, which was always relaxing. Xander and the groomsmen were across the building, getting ready as well. My stomach was in knots knowing that Ashton was here. I sipped on champagne to ease my nerves while the makeup artist worked his magic.

All the women stopped in their tracks as Luke entered the room. I gave a snort when some of the horny bridesmaids started eyeing him like a piece of meat. Subtlety was the key, girls.

"I'm like a delivery man on these days." Luke joked, handing Sofia a letter from Xander. The same tradition my grandpa, my dad, and Jack held on their wedding days - writing a letter to their beloved soon-to-be bride. "Sof, you won't mind if I steal Talia for a second, will you?"

"She's all yours!"

"What do you need?" Pulling me away from getting my makeup done was one way to piss me off. I would end up throwing the wedding behind schedule if I wasn't ready in time. We stood in the hallway and I waited for him to speak. We had not been on the best terms since Thanksgiving evening. And truthfully we'd avoided each other until now.

"I just wanted to tell you how beautiful you look in this dress." Luke's tie hung loosely from the collar of his white button down.

"Was that it?" I sounded annoyed. I wasn't in the best mood today, considering Ashton and I were in the same building for the first time in months.

"Yeah." He slapped his hands on his black slacks and that was when I noticed he wasn't wearing dress shoes like Xander requested, instead Luke wore all black converse. Typical.

"I'll see you later."

It wasn't that I was upset with Luke, I was more ticked off by everything that was gone on with him and with Ashton. Maybe if I was rude to Luke, he'd leave me alone and things could go back to the way they were.

-

I was so happy to be paired up with Luke to walk down the aisle. Ashton and I were not even in a five foot radius of each other and tension was beaming off both of us. His jaw was clenched and he kept tangling his fingers in his hair, I don't know, maybe he wanted to go bald.

I stood through the ceremony, trying not to roll my eyes at how romantically repulsive Xander and Sofia's self-written vows were. I was too bitter to be standing here witnessing this. I wanted to toss my bouquet over my shoulder and go to the open bar and lose myself in alcohol. I planned out each drink I'd have. I'd start with a few beers and then work my way up to the stronger stuff and I'd be able to survive the rest of this wedding without any troubles, unless I passed out.

"I now pronounce you, man and wife." The officiant smiled to both Sofia and Xander before continuing. "You may now kiss your beautiful bride."

I tucked the bouquet under my arm and began to give a petty clap and a forced smile to the happily in love couple, who was officially married.

Now, off to the bar! I thought as I practically skipped down the aisle with my arm linked in Luke's.

-

"Would you like to dance?" Luke held his hand out.

All night, since the dance started, Luke hadbeen hassling me to dance with him, when I only wanted to sit and enjoy the wedding from this perspective. I was in mid-sip of a beer. I think this was my fifth one since the dance started, but I wasn't keeping count this far anymore.