Psychopath

September 25, 2014

"Hey, uh, it's me. Just calling to see how you're doing. I guess I caught you at the wrong time. Who am I kidding? This is the thirtieth call you haven't answered. I hope you're okay. Talk to you soon." And I ended the call. I was playing with my mind now. I technically ended the relationship, so why was I in a war to try and win him back? Every time I would say 'talk to you soon' I would start to believe it more and more and that was the only reason I was still calling Ashton.

I forced myself out of bed this morning, if I stayed home twice in one week I would lose motivation to show up to classes all together. I wouldn't let Ashton interfere with my studies. School was the only thing keeping me distracted from everything and it was now the only important thing in my life.

"Talia, right?" I slowly pulled the keys from the doorknob and turned to the high-pitched voice.

The girl's bleach blonde hair seems longer than the last time I seen it at the beginning of the year and her skin looked irregularly orange from the cheap spray tan she probably had to fuck someone to pay for. I went from complete misery to my body heating with anger because of the girl standing in front of me. She leaned against the stair railing in a sundress that was twelve seasons out of style. Pushing her over the rail sounded like the best idea to me, but I'd spare her life just hear what she had to say.

"What do you want?" I questioned in annoyance while I placed my house keys in my backpack.

"I just came to stop by and see if you're doing okay after Ashton left you." The way she was disconnected from everything was terrifying. She didn't bother to even look me in the eyes when she spoke to me. Instead, she found interest in her acrylic nails that looked too out-dated for 2014. She also smelt of the cheap floral perfume Ashton told me about. The perfume could trigger anyone to vomit, it was such a strong scent.

She reminded me of the type of people I tried to avoid in Los Angeles, the toxic kind of people no one would wanted to be acquainted with, but she was worse. She lacked a conscious and was majorly detached.

"Why does it matter?" I kept space between us because I didn't know what this girl would do.

She snorted, shaking her head. "Oh, sweetheart, he left you for me. I didn't think you would be so foolish."

Her eyes still didn't meet mine as she walked towards me. She was still very focused on her nails. I hoped she was regretting that terrible early 2000's manicure, along with the rest of her appearance.

"How did you find where I live?" I took a few steps backward until my back hit the door.

"That's beyond the point I'm here to make." Our eyes met with only a foot of space between us. She said things in a slow, threatening tone in contrast to the fast and innocent tone I had heard her speak in before. One of them was fake. One of them was horrifying.

"I don't care what point you're here to make. I have classes to get too and I don't have time for whatever this is." I brushed past her, starting for the elevator.

She was not going to hold me back from being somewhere important right now. If she really had something important to say she would get to it instead of trying to threaten me like a superhero villain.

"If you know what's best for you, you won't walk away from me while I'm talking to you."

"Right." I nodded, turning around, making her believe that I would submit to her. When she saw me walking towards her again, she held her head up and her shoulders were pushed back, as if she was happy to have me doing what she wanted. "I know you're little secret, Sarah." I said, feigning a sympathetic voice. "I could end all of this at any moment I'd like."