Birthday

I wasn't granted any luck as soon as I woke up on my birthday. I realized I slept in past all my alarms and to my surprise Ashton has disappeared from my apartment somewhere before the time I could hear Luke banging around in the kitchen. My heart was broken, but somehow expecting of this to happen. I wasn't going to get the incredible twentieth birthday I had dreamed of, I was going to have to settle for what live was giving me.

"So, I had this plan to make you waffles, but it sounded like you had a late night." Luke smirked at me. So much for him being a heavy sleeper.

"It's okay." A birthday morning without waffles was okay.

I wasn't expecting anything from anyone at this point today. I just wanted the day to get over with. I couldn't allow myself to be even more disappointed than I already was. I wasn't going to give anyone that power today. And as much as I wanted to text or call Ashton and ask him what was up, I wasn't going to do that. Not today.

"But don't you worry, Kozma. I have an amazing day scheduled." I flinched when he booped my nose.

"Will this amazing day involve sleeping all day?" With class out of the way, my bed was eagerly awaiting my arrival. The cold weather made me want to snuggle in bed and sleep away my worries.

"We're going to explore the city." He proudly said.

"Hemmings, it's too cold. Can you see my nose right now?" I pointed to the tip of my nose that was rosy. "It's about to fall off."

"If it falls off, at least we can say that's your karma."

Cool.

"Where are we going first?"

"We're having lunch at that weird ass bistro you always talk about."

-

Lunch at the bistro was crowded and loud. I had never gone at two in the afternoon, so I was surprised to see the place packed at that time. Conversation was dull, I couldn't hear myself or Luke talking and people sitting beside us were having conversations so loud that I started to mentally join in.

"Now what?" I rubbed my nose to warm it up. I also had tissue handy because my nose started to run if I was in the cold too much.

"Now I take you shopping." Luke kept his hand on the small of my back as we crossed the street. I felt like he spent too much money on Arina and their partying lifestyle I couldn't accept the offer.

"No."

"There's no time to protest!"

"Suck my ass, Luke!"

-

After an arduous shopping spree, where I was able to buy anything, no matter the price, my feet were killing me and I was more tired than this morning. We left a little boutique and Luke dragged me all the way too Central Park. He held my bags for me and guarded me from "evil" pigeons if he thought they were going to attack me. Funny enough, a pigeon pooped in his hair while we waited for Luke to get a hot dog.

"Hemmings, I'm really tired." I yawned and rest my head on his shoulder as we walked.

We end up stopping right in front of my apartment building. Luke stood before me, appearing as if he was preparing to say something. He took his time putting together his words. A few times he opened up his mouth to speak, but closed it quickly. I had never seen him put so much thought in what he wanted to say. He was just talking to me. I was beginning to get antsy and even colder by the second.

"Look, I know things have been a little rocky for you lately, but there is nothing that you can't get through." He finally said

"Where are you going with this?"