the curse

New York City. The air is heavy, polluted, and the streets smell like trash and pee. It was my favorite place in the world.

A lot of people think they know New York, but they don't. It's not about Times Square and bright lights, it's about the not-so-busy streets and little corners, a big city to discover, and I had it right in front of me. Every corner of this city has so much story to tell, every room in every building is full of life. New York reminded me of how small and insignificant I am, it's so huge and so full of life that shows you that you're nothing in the world but dust. It made my problems feel small as well, so many people were going through things, who was I to feel special about it?

Two weeks. I spent two weeks being a normal girl. I went over my parents' house for dinner with Renee every other night, I kept her updated on my days: how I went on a hike in the morning, how a photoshoot for Glamour went, how Amy and I grabbed brunch on Sunday. Truth was, I got bored. I wasn't partying, I wasn't having fun and seeing people, I started smoking more than I used to and even cleaned the apartment a couple of times.

"You alright?" Jack asked.

He slipped an off yellow shirt through his head covering his tattooed chest and stomach. Ink covered most of his body, going up his legs and arms as well. His jaw line was covered by a dark spotty beard, his nose pierced with a big hoop on it, his hair was wavy and long, as long as mine, and his body skinny and not very tall.

"Yeah, just thinking."

"About?" I shrugged. It was none of his business.

I was laying in bed watching him ran his fingers through his tangled hair. The sheets were warm from his body, the afternoon light coming through the window, the room smelled like beer and sex.

"You should get changed so I can get you backstage."

"Alright." I mumbled.

I was tired, sweaty and hungry, I also wanted to smoke a cigarette, a habit I created along the years: a always craved a cigarette after sex. But I didn't want to hear Jack talk anymore, his small talk as annoying and I was only attracted to his inked skin and long hair.

I hopped off bed and made my way to him, cupping his face and placing a kiss on his lips. He touched my naked body letting his hand fall on my hips.

"Luna." He mumbled. "We gotta go."

"Fine."

I slipped my underwear on, hooked my bra on my back and pulled my maroon dress down to my thighs. I hoped I didn't look like a mess, but the reflection in the full sized mirror told me otherwise. My waves were falling down, no makeup on my skin, my cheeks blushed and my forehead slightly sweaty.

"Ready?" Jack pulled me by my waist and kissed the top of my head. I nodded.

It was a long ride from downtown to the Citi Field in Queens, where the Classic East was held. I had been in New York City for about a week now, and Jack was there for the concert series, it was just perfect timing since I came back from London.

Jack was in a rock band, he played bass but they weren't that big yet, still making it out in the industry. Their music was good. I had met him and his band in Seattle last year, through a friend at a bar, but we hadn't really talked since then untill he messaged me on Instagram after I posted a picture in the city. Now there we were, in the back seat of a yellow cab, his hand on my thigh and both looking outside out windows as the buildings passed by.