the paparazzi

Will and I stood by the counter waiting for our drinks to be done. It was around ten am, the coffee shop was full and I felt all eyes on me. I felt all eyes on me every time I left the house. Maybe I was going crazy.

"An iced vanilla latte with oat milk and a... dark roast." The barista pushed the two cups in our direction.

His eyebrows furrowed as he stared at me as if he asked himself if he knew who I was. I quickly looked away to find a girl with her phone up in my direction. My whole body shivered.

"Dad, is it okay if we bring the coffee back to yours instead of sitting here?"

"'Course kiddo. Is everything alright?"

I just nodded.

I wanted everything to be alright, I wanted everyone to stop looking at me like I was a three headed monster. That's how I felt for the past few days. From all the people I know and all the people I've hung out with, none of them had gotten me as much attention as Harry did. For some people that seems like the dream, having your name on magazine covers and the whole world talking about you and the hottest celebrity at the moment being together. I hated it. I hated all of it.

I hated how they found a twitter account I hadn't used in two years and were now sending me comments about my clothing, my body, my hair, my nose and my teeth. I hated how my instagram followers reached two hundred thousand and people kept tagging me on paparazzi pictures of Harry and I.

I followed my dad out of the shop. Out in the sidewalk a man with a big professional camera waited for us. He knew my name and his lens clicked in my direction. He asked questions but I tried not to pay attention, and he was gone once my dad and I were back in his car. That was the first time I was photographed alone and I was completely terrified.

"What was that all about?" Will asked, placing his coffee on the cup holder.

I couldn't answer him. I sat there speechless the whole way to his house. What was I supposed to do? What was I supposed to say?

He parked in front of the big house and held the long door open for me to get in. It was bright, as always, and empty, as always. I toed my white sneakers off and made my way to the kitchen, sitting on the tall stool on the island, the cold marble top giving me chills.

"Do you talk?" He placed his phone, keys, wallet and coffee on top and grabbed a croissant from a clear plastic box. "How long have the paparazzi been following you, Luna?"

"This was the first time." He squeezed his eyes staring at me as he stood tall across the counter.

"Are you going to tell him?" I looked up at him. My shoulders hung low as if I was exhausted, but I hadn't done anything to feel like so. Truth is, I was emotionally drained. It felt like things were happening one after the another, and for some reason it was hard to take in this one.

"It's not his fault."

"He should've known kissing you in public would cause World War III. They're gonna follow you to find where he is!"

"Dad--"

"No, Luna. It was wrong. Everyone knows it. He should've known better. You're my kid and I don't want this for you. Your mother and I... We don't want this for you." I looked down at the sparkly nail polish Amy made me paint my nails with last night. "Do you like him?" I didn't answer. "Why, out of all the crazy people you meet all around, out of everyone, you choose him? The one guy everyone has their eyes on. Is this one of your games?"

"Games?"

"Yeah. Him and I are friends. You're doing this to get to your mother and I." He said as if it was obvious.

"Is this what you think? That I'm doing this to upset you?"

"Not upset me, just..." I shook my head. "Kiddo..."

"I don't even know what I'm doing, dad. But if you know Harry you know it's not very hard to..." I stopped to rethink my words. "You know... He's a nice guy. He's different."

"He's also..." Will cleared his throat. "I don't want you to get involved in his world and get hurt, Luna."

I felt like a traitor for some reason, like what I was doing was wrong. Usually I wouldn't let this get to me, normally I would've gotten into an argument with Will and yell bad things to him, but for some reason I couldn't.

"I'm sorry." The words slipped from my mouth.

I heard him gasp. "You're sorry?"

"Yes. You're right. He's your friend and you work together, and I shouldn't have done this. You shouldn't have found out through those pictures."

"Luna—"

"Can you just take my apologies?" I barked. "I'm saying I'm sorry. I won't talk to him anymore."

I regretted it the second I said it. I watched him put the croissant down and tap the countertop. He closed his eyes and let his head hang down, shaking it. "No. It's fine, kiddo. I just want you to be happy, and be yourself, and safe." I nodded. "You seem different, Luna. Good different. And if Harry ever hurts you I swear to God—"

"Will! Harry and I aren't together. We're just friends. Friends."

"You two were..."

"Kissing. I know." I chew on the inside of my cheek.

"You two seemed very much together to me. And to the whole world apparently."

"Well, we're not. Don't worry."

He nodded. "Alright, kiddo."

"One more thing."

"Yeah?"

I took a deep breath and exhaled calmly. Bad idea. Bad idea. Bad idea. "Can you get me a seat on your flight to New York?"

He laughed but I remained quiet. "Wait. You're being serious?"

"I just—"

"You wanna come? For Harry's show? Weren't you just with him?"

"Yeah but—"

"I fly out tonight, Luna. How do you ask me this less than twelve hours away?"

"I just thought..." I shook my head. "Sorry I asked."