the american tea

I took one last look at the mirror. My hair was straight, my eyelids painted orange, my lips glossy. I wore a set of button up shirt and pants that came up high on my waist, the fabric was soft and baby pink. I ran my hands on my pants, my palms were sweaty as the hour passed. I was freaking out.

"You look great, honey." My dad put his hand on my shoulder and stood behind me. He was in dark jeans and button up with a nice flashy watch on his wrist.

"Thanks, dad."

"I hope Harry knows he's one lucky man. If he ever—"

"Friends. We're friends."

He cleared his throat. "Right."

I had spent the whole day in New York watching a cooking show on the TV. Will was out with his work friends, Harry was busy with the 'most important show of the tour', and I was left in the hotel room. I had the whole day to think of ways the night could go wrong, creating scenarios in my head I knew deep down wouldn't be true.

My phone buzzed on top of the side table where it charged. HS said in the screen followed by a text. Are you at Radio City yet? It was the seventh time he asked me the same thing. He was just like a kid excited for something and, in this case, I wasn't completely sure if it was for me or for his first solo and sold out show in New York.

The ride to Radio City was short but chaotic like every drive in midtown. Honks, long lights, and bad taxi drivers. My dad typed away on his phone as I nervously watched Bryant Park pass by and tapped my fingers on my lap. What if he wasn't excited to see me? What if me being here ruined his important show? What if he didn't think baby pink was a good color for me? I was a blob of anxiety and insecurities as we pulled up.

A security guard waited for our car to arrive. The man opened the door and first my dad got out and I followed him. The sidewalk was full of barricades and fans waiting for the doors to open. They crowded both sides of the streets anxiously waiting and hoping they'd get a glimpse of Harry Styles on his big day. I knew their chances were close to zero, but they stood there and watched carefully who was getting out of the town car. But it was only me.

They flipped their phones in my directions, I knew I was getting filmed from every angle at that point.

"Luna!" Someone screamed. I turned to find a girl waving happily, her hair pulled up in a ponytail and a shirt with Harry's face on it.

"Hey." I said before turning back around and making my way into the venue.

Inside the venue was just as chaotic as outside. Security ran to get things in order, the merch table getting set up, people carrying things back and forth. I walked close to Will and the security guard. We went through hallways and doors until we found Jeff standing there with a phone on his ear, he turned it off and slipped it on his pocket when he saw us walking on his direction.

"I've been trying to call you but I have bad service back here." He said, giving my dad a hug.

"We're on time, aren't we?"

"Yeah, of course. Harry's just meeting a few contest winners, the room is full, let's get in." Then his eyes fell on me. I held my breath in, I was completely mortified and I didn't even know why. "Luna, love. Hi." He placed a kiss on my cheek before pulling us in through the door.

The green room was a mess. It was the biggest dressing room I have ever been to. It was round and bright, the walls were mirrored, and there was food, makeup, hair styling products, people sitting on the white couches and chairs. Heads turned as we walked in. Will shook hands with a couple people, Jeff walked close behind me, Harry had his arm around a small girl's shoulder and smiled for a picture. As soon as the flash went on his eyes shot in my direction. He raised his eyebrows and opened up a big smile before giving his attention back to the girls in front of him.