the spotaneous trip

The hot summer air blew my hair as Amy and I walked downtown, making our way through the brick streets of Soho, from thrift shops to high end stores, $5 sunglasses and Saint Laurent shirts. It was Monday, her last night in New York before going back to California and leaving me behind.

"Are you sure you don't wanna come back with me?"

"I think I might hit New Orleans, or Miami, I'm in need of a tan."

She nodded.

"I miss having you there."

"I'll come back soon, I promise."

The sky was a dark shade of blue, we were making our way towards Washington Sq Park, the sidewalks were now getting busier by young adults. I missed Amy too, being around her all the time, doing things together, it felt like forever. I also missed Los Angeles, it felt like this past year I was always trying to get out of there, but deep down I was starting to get tired of running away, I wanted to go back soon, maybe for a while.

"We need to get brunch at The Beverly Hills when you're back."

"After a morning hike."

"After a lot of coffee." Amy said happily.

"Of course." I laughed.

I could see the park around the corner, it was night but still full of people, and the Star Wars reacting group with their lightsabers on the grass.

"You know, New York is not my favorite place in the world but I get why you like it so much."

"You do?"

"Yeah, I do." I smiled. "It's overwhelming, like you. In a good way." We laughed.

"I am not overwhelming."

"Are you really trying to fight me on this, Luna?"

It felt nice. Standing on the sidewalk laughing with my best friend. It felt like we hadn't done that in years; laughed. I was going to say how glad I was she was there with me, but my buzzing phone interrupted me. Amy frowned as I searched for it in my purse.

"I swear if it's Renee..."

"I told her I was coming, I don't think she'd-"

My heart dropped when I looked at the screen. Harry Styles. Why was he calling me? How late was it in Spain? What did he want? Why was I so nervous out of the sudden?

"Luna, who is it?"

"I-it's Harry, I..."

"Pick it up!"

"What does he want?"

"Pick it up!" She repeated.

I did. After staring at the bright screen and taking a couple of deep breaths, I clicked the little green button and brought the phone to my ear. Amy watched me with wide eyes.

"Hello?" I said under my breath.

"Lunaaaaaa." He almost screamed.

"Already missing me, Styles?"

"I wanna kiss you." His voice was still soft and delicious to listen to.

"Are you drunk?"

"I reckon I had a few drinks. I was at my friend's wedding. Why are all my friends old, married and with kids?"

"I'm not."

"So you are my friend? Huh!" He chuckled, I could hear the sound of the sheets, figuring he was probably in bed now.

"I don't think friends fuck."

"I'm gonna need you to come to Spain." I laughed. "I'm not joking."

"What do you mean you're not joking? I-"

"I want you." I gulped. Spain. He was drunk and telling me to go to Spain. "And you said I could see you again, so get on a plane and come meet me Spain."

"Harry, that's insane. I can't-"

"You can't or you don't want to?"

I wanted to. The voice inside of me was screaming No! Don't do it! My body wanted it more than anything. I felt out of breath, my heart beating so fast that it made me sick. I held onto the street sign, taking a moment to digest his words. Amy mouthing something but I couldn't dare to pay attention.

"I want to, I just..."

"Aren't you so adventurous, spontaneous and crazy? Or is it just a show you put up?" I could almost imagine the flirty smile he had on.

"Are you daring me, Styles?"

"Yes. I dare you to hop on a plane tomorrow and come to Spain. You and me. Spain. The sun. I need to have you again, Luna. I feel like I'm gonna go crazy, I can't stop thinking about you."

"But, Harry, my dad..."

"I'll handle Will. Just come here and let me make you feel good one more time. I'll never bother you again if you don't want me to."

That sounded nice, tempting since I had never been to Spain, and thinking about being with Harry one last time. Maybe that's what I needed to stop thinking about him: to get drunk, have sex and then move on to someone different.

"Is Harry Styles begging for me?"

"Is that a yes?"

"You don't know what you're saying."

"Look, maybe I am crazy, but I know one thing. When I wake up, hungover, I'm still gonna want you. When I wake up, sober, the next day, I'm still gonna want you. And I reckon you want me too."

"You sure about that?"

"Can you say yes already?"

"Yes." I smiled.

"Can't hear you."

"Yes! Yes, Harry!"

"Peeeeeeerfect!" He said making me laugh. "Now I'm gonna hang up before you change your mind. I'll see you soon, love."

"Bye, Styles."

I shoved my phone back in my back, sighing. Amy still looked at me confused as I still leaned on a street sign.

"What happened? You looked like you were gonna vomit."

"I'm going to Spain."

"Y-you are going to...? With...?" I nodded, running my fingers through my hair. "Oh my god!"