the barbecue

"It's going to be fine, Luna." Harry reassured me. 

He parked his car on the packed driveway. He turned the engine off and shifted at his seat to face me, but I didn't turn to look back at him. My eyes were glued to the large shiny house I grew up in, looking at it made me feel so small. I knew it was too extravagant and wasteful really. I mean, how many guests are we gonna have over to fill in all the five guest rooms? The answer is none, because for as long as I remember, those rooms remained untouched since the only person to stay over ever was Amy and she would stay in my room. 

We would ride roller skates in this driveway. We would go around and around until we were tired and our legs couldn't work anymore. Inside Rose would have made us lunch and we would eat and drink fresh orange juice, then watch the Spice Girls movie for the thirtieth time and pass out on the fuzzy rug in my room. 

The memories get pushed to the back of my hear when I feel a hand touch mine. I get scared at first, then I remember where I was and who I was with. I look down at our hands, his fingers sliding through my palm until they're intertwined with mine. His right hand was free of tattoos but full of rings, one on each finger, and they felt cold on my skin. 

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asked. 

"I just don't want them to ask questions or get the wrong idea of us."

"Idea of what? That we're fucking?" I looked up to find him smirking at me. "I think Will has caught up to that a while ago, love." 

With his free hand, Harry pushed his pair of black sunglasses to the top of his head, taming his wild hair with it. His eyes were extra green in that light, they were bright and shinned traveling in-between mine. He wore a baby pink shirt that was pastel enough to match with what I was wearing, not on purpose. 

"H, I've never-- I don't go to parties my parents throw." He nodded. "And I never brought a guy I like along with me."

"So you like me yeah?" He grinned.

"I thought we had stablished that a while ago." 

"Well..." He sighed. "I don't know about you, Luna Davis, but Will send me a invitation to this. You know, since we're close friends and all." I shook my head and bit my bottom lip. I was nervous and going out of my mind. "It's going to be fine." I nodded. "Now can I please kiss you since we can't pda in front of your parents." I nodded again. 

He leaned in my direction and cupped my face with his left hand. I now knew exactly the tattoos that inked his skin right there, and in what order he wore his rings that sent chills down my spine. My eyes fell shut and his lips pressed against mine, smoothly and softly. 

Kissing Harry always felt new to me. Even though I knew how his lips felt against mine and how he tasted, every kiss sparkled something inside of me, a feeling I didn't know existed. It always left me out of breath, heart racing, butterflies on my stomach. 

When he pulled away, I opened my eyes slowly to find green orbs staring at me and his pink lips open in a smile. He was close enough for me to see the few freckles on his cheek and his light eyelashes. 

"What?" I asked.

"You're pretty." His hand fell down from my neck as he completely fell back on his seat, pulling together his belongings from the car. "Let's go." 

+++++++++++

I sat from far away with a La Croix in my hand and Amy by my side. From the shade we watched everyone socialize in the backyard. She was telling me about how tomorrow she had to attend to a office party and that the two girls that don't like her very much will be there, which is making her nervous. Amy is not a very confrontational person. She'll sit quiet and let her feelings eat her inside but she will never ever confront someone. Unless that someone is me. She won't hold back on confronting me, that's for sure. . 

"Do you know what you'll be doing in London?" She asked.

"I don't think he has anything planned, really. He hasn't said anything." She nodded. "I'm just-- I hope I'm doing the right thing, you know?" 

I looked up to the backyard once again, searching for the familiar face and mop of hair that easily stood out in a crowd. He talked to Will while he grilled something, the smoke dancing in the air in front of them. He pinched his lip with one arm crossed on his chest, then let go and laughed along with my dad. Harry's eyes found mine for a second, his lips spread in a perfect smile before bringing his attention to the conversation once again. 

I was happy for the first time in what it seemed like forever. I liked him and by the way he looked at me it was undeniable that he felt the same. Anyone in the room could see it. But every time I hopped on a plane for him, one of us got hurt. And it was terrifying.

"What makes you think that?" 

"I feel so vulnerable, Amy." I looked down at the empty can on my hand. "It feels like my world has flipped but Harry's stayed the exact same. I'm the one traveling around for him. I'm going once again, for him. I always do."

"But you've always done that, Luna." She spoke softly. "You've always traveled back and forth, going around people, but this time the difference is that he gives a shit. And so do you." 

I looked up to meet his green eyes again. His lips moved talking to Will, but his gaze was on me, making my whole body shiver. I watched him touch my dad's arm and excuse himself before crossing the backyard in my direction. He walked slowly and casually, or as casual as Harry Styles could. His hand on his pockets, a smirk on his lips. 

"What are you two gossiping about?" He cheekily asked, taking a seat next to me. 

"Just telling Luna about how jealous I am that she's going to London again and I still have never been." Amy joked. 

"I'm sure we can get you there next time." He said and she nodded giggling. 

"I'm going to grab a burger. Let me throw this out for you." She got up and grabbed the can from my hand, quickly turning around and almost running away. 

"That was a smooth exit. Does my breath stink?" Harry asked making me laugh. 

"You know, you've fell asleep playing monopoly with her but she's still easily one of your biggest fans. I can tell she's on the merge of exploding whenever you're around." 

"Fair." Harry's shoulder touched mine, his hand rested on my thigh. 

"What were you and Will talking about?"

"You." My heart dropped. "He was just asking me about England and to take care of you." 

"I can take care of myself."

"We know that, Luna. Still doesn't mean that you should let me take care of you while we're together. Let me feel good about myself a little, yeah?" 

"I'll make you feel good in different ways, Styles." 

"Don't start what you can't finish, Davis." 

He got up suddenly, a smirk on his face that made me melt inside. He was so insanely gorgeous and charming that I don't think I'd ever get used to it. His dimple denting his cheek, his eyes lazily staring down at me, his sunglasses holding his chestnut locks back. Harry almost didn't seem real. 

He stretched his hand out in my direction, and I looked at it confused before placing my own on top. He helped me up from my seat, his thumb caressed my skin for a bit before he let my hand down and reached for my hair instead, pushing it behind my shoulder and letting his fingers brush against my neck, giving me chills. His tongue parted his lips to wet them as his eyes traveled from my neck, to my own lips and up to my eyes that watched him as he moved.

"Let's go get some cocktails. Maybe the kitchen will be empty and I'll be able to steal a few kisses from you."