Chapter Four

Isoldes POV

            “Mymy, where are they taking him?” I questioned my best friend hoping she would answer me quickly. Myra was running after the curly haired stranger at a fast pace, she was in nurse mode so I wasn’t getting any answers soon. I paced around the room trying to find a position that would make me seem less awkward and in the way.

            I watched two men approach quickly to the stranger. They were holding hands and looked frightened. One of the men was tall, with tan skin, and was covered in-what I assumed to be-numerous tattoos. His male companion was pale, blonde, and looked like he was about to cry.

            “Where are you taking our brother?” That tan skinned man said. He looked impatient and kept looking around like he was trying to find someone besides the man on the gurney. His partner looked from him to the injured man over and over to the point it was almost comical.

            “Brother?” I asked before I had a chance to think about not prying in his business.

            “Yes, brother. Where are they taking him? Who are you?” he rushed his questions out at me. He spoke in a slow accent that I assumed to be from England. He looked at me with his brown eyes like I was wasting his time. I stood almost paralyzed, to say this man scared me was an understatement. I lost my voice for a moment before answering.

            “I do not know. I am the one that found him in the parking lot. I asked but no one told me anything. Perhaps since you’re family they might tell you.” I told him trying to keep my voice from wavering. After I finished my statement, the gentlemen looked at me in a strange way. He looked me from up and down with his lips slightly pouted out as if he was thinking in a very hard way. The blonde man looked at me with an amused expression and a half smile. I was hesitant but I returned his smile.

            He rushed forward. “My name is Niall. This is my partner Zayn. We are pleased to meet you. We are brothers to Harry, but not to each other.” He had a thick Irish accent which made me smile. My family was from Ireland many generations ago. He held his hand out for me to shake which I did.

            “Harry?” I wrinkled my nose in question at the unfamiliar name. Niall laughed loudly and I instantly decided that I liked him.

            “The guy you found passed out in the parking lot?” He said still chuckling at me. The man named Zayn was still staring at me and I was borderline uncomfortable in his presence.

            “Oh! Him! I did not know his name. My name is Isolde Connor. It is nice to meet both of you.” I introduced myself to them. Zayn gazed had still not left me, but now his eyes were unfocused and glazed over. Niall must have noticed to because he lightly elbowed him. Zayn focused back his eyes leaving me and looking at Niall with a look of love I have only read about in books. I was beginning to feel awkward in their company. “Well since you two are here for Harry (his name sounded odd in my mouth) I will go see if my friend need anything.”

            “Wait!” I turned to see Niall addressing me. He looked at Zayn almost as if asking what to say. “Would you like to wait with me in the waiting room while Zayn checks on Harry’s progress?” I was unsure what to say since Zayn looked like he did not want to leave Niall.

            “Well…” I was unsure of my answer. I wanted to stay to see how the strange man was doing, and if he knew who had hurt him. I made my choice and nodded.

            “Great! Zayn will you go see how Harry is?” Niall sweetly asked his partner. Zayn huffed but somewhat begrudgingly left without another word. Niall watch him leave and turned his attention back to me. I was shocked that his eyes were almost as blue as mine. I showed him were the waiting room was. I had been volunteering at this hospital since before Myra even got hired. He gestured his hand for me to sit down before he did. “So Ms. Connor tell me about yourself.”

            I took a deep breath before beginning. “I graduated high school at age fourteen where I went to college and got my Master’s degree at age nineteen. I’m still nineteen but I’ll turn twenty in three months. I am a private music and language teacher for seven students in the area. I live in the city and I volunteer at this hospital at least a few times a week.” I stopped and waited for him to make comments, but he remained silent so I continued. “My best friend, Myra, works at this hospital. I speak eight languages and play numerous instruments, but you probably already guessed that.” I paused this time and waited for him to speak.

            “You live an interesting life Ms. Connor.” Niall replied to my rambling.

            “Call me Isolde or Iz.” I told him. He smiled at me.

            “Do you know the story of the princess Isolde?” He asked with a special look in his eyes.

            “Yes. I was named after her, my mother’s mother is from Galway. Princess Isolde was a fictional character that had a story most like Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.” I paused and looked at him. He had an unknown look in his eyes. He did not speak for a time.

            “She wasn’t fictional. She was a real princess. She was a rare beauty in a dark time, and everyone in the kingdom loved and was in love with her. Ireland was at war with England and to keep the peace she was betrothed to an English duke. She grew to love him and help Ireland become free from the tyranny of evil rulers. It is poetic that you are named after her.” He stopped and looked at me with a half-smile and I was dazzled by his story.

            “You speak as if you knew her personal.” I observed. He simply blinked peacefully and smiled not commenting on my statement. We sat in comfortable silence until two men busted into the waiting room. Niall and I turned our attention to the commotion.

            “We need to see Harry Styles! We are family!” The man who spoke was larger than the other with dark brown hair, tattoos, and was bulky. Despite this his face was kind and concerned. The man was shorter, slimmer, and also had tattoos. He face masked the same look of concern.

            “Liam! Louis!” I turned to see Niall rushing towards the men and jumping in the larger males waiting arms. They looked at each other and were quiet for some time, as I stood awkwardly wanting to leave. Niall said something to them and they both turned to look at me with smiles.

            “Liam and Louis. This is Isolde Connor. She is the woman that found our Harry. Zayn is checking on him now.” Niall explained. Liam and Louis looked at me with an unreadable expression.

            “Hello, Ms. Connor” the one named Louis said to me. I smiled at his accent-it reminded me of an eighteenth century butler. I think it was because of his British accent.

            “Call me Isolde of Iz, Louis.” I said smiling. They both repeated my name and I felt calmer being the presences of three strange men. I was getting ready to ask how they knew Harry when Zayn came running into the room, almost knocking over a nurse in the process.

            “We have a problem, lads.”