Chapter Nine

Harry Pov

            “What are you?” Isolde repeated. She was looking at me with disbelief. I wanted to wait to tell her the truth, but she had seen me attack and kill in front of her. I quickly tried to think of what to tell her. “Don’t lie to me, Mr. Styles.” She said. It hurt that she didn’t say my first name. I slowly walked towards her and she didn’t flinch, so that was a good sign, I hope.

“Please believe that I only want to protect you. I would never hurt you, Isolde. I promise.” I begged her. She stared at me and then simply nodded. I took a breath and begin pacing around her living room; unable to think of where to start.

“Let me ask questions and you just answer them.” She said. She begin picking up books and cleaning, still not looking at me.

“Ok.” Was I could say.

“What are you?” She said again. I looked at her and she looked in to my eyes.

“I am a Child of the Moon. Your culture has dumb the name down to werewolf.” I said simply. Isolde exhaled deeply and ran her hands over her face.

“I need to call my student and cancel our lesson.” She said going into the kitchen to get the phone. I sat on the couch while I heard her mumble apologies on the phone. She came back and stood against the wall, and all I wanted to do was hug her.

“Who was that man that came into my home?” Her voice was starting to waver.

            “That was no man. It was a Corpi. They are…” I begin.

            “They are the dead raised to do the tasks of living men.” Isolde finished. I looked at her in amazement. She slowly sank to the ground. “My grandfather told me stories about Corpi, werewolves, and Banshees. Oh god. They're all real aren’t they?” She whispered mostly to herself.

            “Banshees  haven’t been heard from in centuries.” I tell her. I quietly sit next to her, but I don’t think she noticed. “But yes, they are real. I don’t know who would have sent one of the Corpi after you.”

            “What are you the Alpha of?” She asked me, not looking at me.

            “A pack. The men that told you they were my brothers, they are in it.” I tell her.

            “Tell me how you met them.” She said looking at me finally. I look at her and smile.

            “It is a long story,” I start and she nods for me to continue, “save your questions till I’m done, yeah?” She nods again.

“I was born in England in the late 16th century to two poor farmer who died before I could miss them. I was then raised in an orphanage then on the street”, I say and she opens are mouth and I shake my head and she closes it, “I was bitten on my twenty third birthday by a rogue wolf whose face I had never seen nor remember. I traveled around England working odd jobs, I was an apprentice for Shakespeare for years before he died. One day after I had been a Child of the Moon for about three hundred years (Iz eyes widened and she closed them), I was walking home and I was attacked. When I came to I was in dark cellar of some kind, and I chained to the ground. There was a man down there who told me I was to guard them.” I paused my breath had gotten ragged. I never this story all the way. Iz must have seen my discomfort and touched my leg, sending tingles up my body.

“I found out that they were vampires, so they couldn’t go out into the sunlight or they would get extra crispy. They wanted Children of the Moon to guard them while they slept because it was when they were almost defenseless. I refused and they burned me with silver, and tortured me in other ways. After years of this, I accepted that this was my life. I would watch the house while they slept, kill any trespasser, and in return they starved and beat me.” My voice was bitter.

“I am so sorry.” Isolde told me. She had tears in her eyes.

“Shh. I’m not done, love.” I told her gently and she nodded. “After many years while I was in the cellar the door opened and someone else was put in. It was Liam. He was bloody and bruised. He ask where he was and I told him. We got along fine, and I watched out for him. It didn’t matter that he was probably stronger than me, I felt the need to watch for him. Whenever the bloodsucker would beat us I would shield him with my body. A few years after Liam, Niall and Zayn were captured. They were together, but when they got here they separated them. Niall was put into the cellar. I had never seen anyone so broken. He calmed down after they put Zayn back.” I stopped again. I decided that she didn’t need to hear about the pain that we had all felt.

“When did you meet Louis?” She asked. I smile thinking of my friend.

“He was the last one captured. When he came into the room, I realized that there was a chance the we could escape. Niall  somehow knew Louis. We waited until dawn, and we attacked and killed the vampires. We left and never parted. We were Omegas that formed a bond and a pack. It’s very uncommon for that to happen.” I finished my story. Iz was quiet for a minute.

“Are you the Alpha because you are the oldest?” She asked.

“No, Liam is the oldest, then Zayn, then Niall, me, and Louis practically a baby.” I said chuckling.

“How old are the rest of the boys?” She asked her eyes wide. I paused to think.

“Well we all have forgotten our ages and birth years. But Liam and Zayn met in during the Crusades.” I said. Isolde stood up abruptly and turned to look at me.

“The Crusades ended in the thirteenth century.” She squeaked out at me. I nodded and she began pacing and cleaning. I realized that cleaning must be a nervous habit. She covered her face with her hands. She stopped and look at me with disbelief before saying “Niall actually knew this Princess Isolde. That why he spoke with such fondness.” She smacked herself on the forehead.

“Yep, and Louis was a Red Coat during the American Revolution.” I tell her. I stood up and waited for her to do anything. I heard her muttering under her breath while she paced back and forth. I just wanted to hug her and make her feel safe.

“Ok. Ok. Ok.” She said still pacing. “So I’m you mate, yeah?” She asked me, and I choked a little at her forwardness.

“Yes. We do not pick our mates. The Powers That Be do. But I would gladly pick you any day.” I tell her.

“How does this mate thing work?” She asks. I cannot tell by her tone what her mood or reaction is to this new information.

“Basically we are soul mates. I love you unconditionally, and will died without you. I want you to be happy and I will do anything to make you happy.” I tell her honestly and wholeheartedly. She stops pacing and looks at with an unreadable facial expression. She remains silently for far too long. “Say something.” I beg her. She walks towards me and I began to ask her to say something, please, but I am cut off when she presses her lips against mine.