8. The Fired Shots

Jessica's Pov

Last week I made a deal with Mason about our life together. I said that he got to live with Zachary and I if he helped out. He left to go get some dinner for us but he hasn't come back at all. It's like this life was too much for him. It's been almost twenty-four hours and no sign of him.

"Mama where is daddy?"

Just to clarify things, in Zach's mind Aaron is his father. But we broke up and his biological father is here. Oh, and he is abusive so he is never allowed to see Zach.

"He is gone, buddy."

He started to cry but I just told him to calm down. After he calms down we get ready for the day at the mall. I told him he can come with me because Abby is bringing her daughter and Benny is bringing Bella. Sam is the only one who doesn't have a baby/child at this point. I tried to help Zach with his seat belt but he wouldn't let me. At the end he let me do it anyways. He was angry at himself. We drove and Zach fell asleep in his car seat.Which was great because he didn't get much sleep last night. There was a fire next door. We parked the car and I had to wake up Zach.

"Mama. Me don't want to."

He looked at the stroller but he didn't have a choice. If he didn't get in then we had a problem. He sat down anyways. I bulked him up and we started to head toward the mall.

"Mama. Me get toys?"

"Yes, you can. Clothes too."

He cheered in his stroller. He was happy that we are here. With my friends and some of his friends. Although Zach is younger than Bella. Only by two months though. The problem is that means they won't be in the same graduation class. Unless I send Zach to school early.

"So Jessica Smith is shopping with her little boy."

I smiled and spotted Maddie. If you don't remember her she was the waitress when Benny, Sam, Abby and I went for a night out when I was pregnant.

"Yes, I am."

"He's gotten so big."

"I know. I remember how small he was when he was first born."

Both Maddie and I are friends but Maddie isn't with my group of friends.

"Hey. Look who finally decided to show up."

"Thanks, Benny."

I smiled and parked the stroller and sat down. Abby was the next to show up. Turns out she was the last, not me. Plus both her daughter and Chad.

"So how is it being a parent," I asked.

"Hard." Replied Abby.

"What's her name?" Asked Benny.

"Emma Wilson." Replied Chad.

I nodded my head and that was a cue for my phone to ring. It was Mason so I had to pick it up. Let's here his explanation for leaving.

"Sorry, guys I have to take this."

I walked away and answered it.

"Mason where the-"

"Not Mason by the way."

"Then who is it."

"Charlie. I'm calling you because Mason is in the hospital because of Aaron."

"God-"

"You have a child don't say that."

I sighed.

"I'll be there with a few other people. I guess."

"Okay."

I walked back to the group and told them about Mason. Abby and Sam were just going to go back home. Emmy was going to take Bella home and Benny and Chad were both going to come to the hospital with me.

Mason's POV

I woke up and was blinded. Totally haven't been in this position multiple times. That is filled with sarcasm all the way. I saw someone sitting in a chair holding something. More like someone.

"Sugar?"

"Hmm."

"What happened."

"I don't know. But Charlie said you were shot by Aaron. That-"

"Don't say-"

"I have Zachary it's not like his life is going to be doomed is I say a few bad words."

"Well someone is moody."

I chuckled as I saw her try to get comfortable in the hospital chair. Which are always crappy. Never sleep in one ever. Bed bugs suck.

I'm kidding.

"Mason. You are so funny."

"I know right."

She rolled her eyes and I just chuckled.

"You're a horrible person."

"Literally or metaphorically speaking."

I smirked and she yet again rolled her eyes.

That's when Zachary moved.

"Is he awake?"

She shook her head no.

"Can I..."

She nodded her head. I have never heald my son. Not even when he was born. I was running away and also trying to find my siblings. So far I found Danny and Claire. Five more to go.

She lifted him up and allowed me to put him on my side. I know I got shot but to be honest I got shot on the opposite side that she set Zach down. I watched him as he got comfortable. I wrapped my arm around him. I never felt like this before. I will protect my son. I will protect my family from having to face Aaron. The war has started.