23 - The Common Room

When Draco returned to the common room, it was quiet. He was thankful no student was there since he didn't want to go back to his room, he wanted to be alone, he was tired. He went to the black leather couch and planned to relax by the fireplace but when he got in front of the sofa that was facing away from the entrance he saw Serena and Blaise sleeping. Serena's head on Blaise's shoulder and Blaise in Serena's head.

A small smile escaped him. Did they wait up for him? And does that mean Serena's not mad at him? He hopes not.

Ever since he saw Serena's face earlier, he couldn't shake it off his mind. He hated it, he didn't want to admit it, but what if that mongrel door matt was right? What if she's disappointed in him? If not, then he might do something stupid in the future that will make her think that way. He feared that day and hoped it will never come.

Serena moved, and slowly opened her eyes, Blaise following as he felt her move. Serena saw him standing in front and she suddenly sat up straight. "Draco!"

"I was gone for 5 hours and this is what I come back to? I really should be serious about you staying away from Blaise, Serena. And you, what would Pansy think?!" Draco crossed his arms.

"Pansy would tell both of us to go and get proper sleep! Since she's not a green-eyed monster, unlike somebody. Besides, If I saw you and Pansy in the same position, I'd probably take a photo!"

"Blaise you sound like a mum," Serena said.

"Merlin's sake mate! Don't put that image in my head! I can't even imagine sitting that closely with her!" Draco said disgustedly.

"And yet you used to date her" Serena pointed out.

"A phase I don't want to be reminded of. And we didn't date, we hung out" Draco said defensively.

"Can we now talk about why you got back so late? What happened?!" Blaise asked.

"Jeesh Blaise, you do sound like a mother!" Draco said as he sat at the opposite sofa.

"Draco, are you.... Did they.. Expel you?" Serena asked with all seriousness and concern.

Draco sighed, "No"

Which made Blaise and Serena sigh in relief as well. "So what was your punishment then?"

"Filch made door matt and I clean the candelabras and the windows in the faculty room"

"Wait but the windows in the faculty are practically from floor to ceiling! And how many candelabras are even in there?!" Blaise asked trying to imagine the horror of cleaning those.

"That's exactly why I'm knackered. For 5 hours we just cleaned with a dirty rug, and without magic!" Draco complained. "And we have to do it for a week!"

"I don't know why, but I feel very amused with your situation" Blaise teased, and Serena chuckled.

"Bugger off you two" Draco laid his head on the sofa's armrest, closing his eyes.

"We should head to our room Draco unless you want to stay there, you do look comfortable," said Blaise.

"You go on ahead and I AM comfortable thank you very much" replied Draco with his eyes still closed.

"Suit yourself"

Minutes later after Blaise left, Draco let out a huge sigh. He opened his eyes, staring at the patterns on the ceiling.

"Hard labour isn't really your thing huh?"

Draco whipped his head facing the other sofa, he didn't expect Serena to still be there since it was so quiet. "I didn't know you were still here, I thought you left with Blaise"

"If you want to be alone I could leave"

Draco didn't answer right away. He took a deep breath and looked back up at the ceiling and said, "Don't. Please stay"

Serena smiled at his words, it sounded romantic in a way. She knew he was bothered but he didn't know about what, and she wasn't sure if he would tell her. "I have a feeling this is more than just you having detention with Tristan"

Again, Draco didn't answer her right away. She wondered if he even heard her. "Dra--"

"Did I disappoint you?" He suddenly asked.

Serena sat up straighter, not expecting his question." why are you asking me that?"

"I... i just thought maybe.... The way you looked at me earlier...."

"Draco, all I thought about earlier was worry! Who even gave you the idea of me being disappointed at you?........... Wait a minute... Did Tristan say something? Is that why you two were fighting?!"

"Only Partly"

"Partly? What's the other reason then?"

Draco didn't want to tell Serena. Just the thought of Tristan's word, the thought of him touching her was enough to make his blood boil. He couldn't stand him anymore he--

"Draco"

Draco felt Serena's hands on his now clenched fists. He didn't even realize what he was doing. His hands felt like stone, unable to relax. But when Serena slipped her fingers, trying to hold his hands, his hands immediately melted into hers.

He looked at their entwined fingers and thought about how this woman changed him. He never thought someone could make him feel this way, he never thought any of this was possible for him. He took her hand into his lips and kissed it softly and whispered into it.

"What?" Serena asked, unable to hear his whisper

Draco looked at her and smiled, "I love you"

Serena was curious as what Tristan might have said to make Draco this angry but she didn't want to push it. She slipped her fingers into his clenched fists hoping he would ease into her, and she was thankful he did. His hands finally softened and they both held hands quietly. She hoped that this simple gesture made him forget his problems.

She was surprised when Draco suddenly kissed her hand and whispered something, his lips still touching her hand, but she wasn't able to get it. "What?" She asked.

And then he looked at her like never before. Serena didn't know how and when his face shifted from anger to.... Happiness? She couldn't quite describe what expression was on Draco's face but his eyes were bright and he smiled at her with this very boyish, very charming smile and suddenly he said, "I love you"

Serena was stunned. It was totally unexpected and to be honest she wasn't sure she heard him right. "What did you say?"

"I never knew you were this deaf Collins" He smirked.

And Serena felt suddenly warm in her heart, she felt like she was flying and she literally felt happiness bubble up inside her. She reached for Draco and hugged him tightly. "I love you too, Draco Malfoy"

Draco wrapped his arms around Serena tightly as well, careful not to crush her. He then kissed her cheek and then her lips. Both could feel the happiness, and of course, the love in their kisses.

They never expected their night to turn out this way, never expected they would be together because of how this started, and never in a million years expected both would fall head over heels in love with each other.