39 - The Trial

Going out of the classroom Serena felt a huge, massive weight being lifted off her shoulders. It was finished. Weeks of blood, sweat and tears were finally through. The NEWTS were finally done. She felt like she could finally breathe the fresh air and she felt like her head was lighter and she could feel and allow herself to smile again. It almost felt like the relief she felt after the war.

She looked for Blaise and Draco and saw them on the other side of the courtyard. "Blaise, Draco!" She called out and ran to them.

"Serena! How did you do?" Blaise asked with a smile on his face.

"I did my best, I know I did. I'm just glad it's finally over. How about you two?"

"Same as you" replied Blaise and Draco nodded

"Draco, are you alright? You look a bit pale" Serena reached over to touch his forehead but Draco dismissed it.

"I'm fine just a bit hungry"

"Well, don't worry mate, I heard Professor McGonogall has prepared a special feast just for us who took the exams as a reward" Blaise chirped excitedly

"Did she really? Oh, I am in desperate need of real food! Come on let's go!"

Serena and Blaise excitedly walked to the Great Hall but when they didn't see Draco beside them they turned around only to see Draco rubbing his temples. Serena went back for him but before she could reach by his side Draco suddenly fell to the floor. The last thing Draco heard was Serena calling him his name in panic.

Draco slowly opened his eyes, still feeling a bit weak but much better than he did earlier. He felt a squeeze in his hand and to his side was Serena looking at him worried.

"Draco, you're finally awake" She couldn't contain herself and hugged him tightly.

"Now, now, Miss Collins we don't want Mr. Malfoy to be strangled to death" Madame Pomfrey suddenly came into view.

"I'm sorry" She muttered. "Draco, are you alright? How are you feeling? Do you feel any pain?" Serena asked and Draco saw Madame Pomfrey was looking at her amused.

"I'm fine, it's not like I'm dying you know" Draco replied.

"Mr. Malfoy is right, no need to worry. It seems that the NEWTS has just taken an effect on his body. He hasn't eaten nor had any sleep. Am I right Mr. Malfoy?" Madame Pomfrey asked and Draco nodded. "It's not a big deal", she continued, "We have plenty of potions to help Mr. Malfoy feel better. We are always prepared during examination times. Because of the stress, fatigue and anxiety, students always faint or become sick before, during, and after the OWLS or NEWTS. He just needs to rest now and drink these potions" Madam Pomfrey explained to both of them while placing a basket with potions beside Draco's bed. They both said their thanks and the nurse went to take care of the other ill students.

Serena squeezed Draco's hand once again and he looked at her with a reassuring smile. "I know it's not because of the exams that you are here," Serena told him and he smiled realising Serena knows him all too well now.

"I know you do" He replied looking at their entangled hands.

"I hate seeing you like this"

"Don't worry, Madame Pomfrey said I'll be okay in no time"

"Yes, because she thinks you don't have to worry about your studies anymore. Please, take care of yourself Draco, I've never seen you looking sick and I absolutely hate it!"