29 - The Miscommunication

It was already April and time just seemed to pass by so quickly. But also a lot has happened. Over the past weeks, Serena has bonded quite fondly with both Pansy and Luna. Two very opposite people and including her, the friendship was indeed a weird and unexpected one. The three of them had such different personalities but somehow got along well. Serena was happy to have some new girlfriends because as fun as it was hanging out with Blaise and Draco, she needed some girl time too.

After another stressful week of tests at Hogwarts, they all decided to hang out at Blaise and Pansy's place. 

"Okay, how about you Theo. Would you rather  be stuck on a broomstick forever or stay in a house forever?" Pansy asked while she took a handful of popcorn.

"On a broomstick of course! I don't think I can manage being stuck in one place forever" Answered Theo.

"What if you need to go to the loo?" Blaise asked in which Theo had to give some thought. 

"That would be challenging... But I believe I can work things out. Also, wouldn't it be cool to find a way to shag while on a broomstick?" Theo laughed but the others did not find it amusing. Everyone except Luna made a disgusted facial expression.

"Seriously Lovegood how do you even put up with this?" Draco asked still disgusted.

"He's funny" Was all Luna replied. In which Theo wrapped his arm around her.

Everyone continued to play their game when Serena heard a tapping on the window. She turned to see an owl with a letter on his beak. "Hey Draco, isn't that Aries?"

Draco turned to see Aries outside. He stood up and went to his mother's owl. He got the letter and took a treat from Blaise's treat bowl near the window and gave it to Aries.

"Is everything okay?" Serena asked while Draco read the letter.

"I'm not sure, but my mother said I should go to Malfoy Manor immediately"

Serena stood up and went to Draco's side who had a worried look

"I have to go"

"I know. Be safe, see you soon" Serena reassured Draco. He smiled at her and kissed her forehead. He took a step back and apparated away.

There was a moment of silence when Pansy said "It's so weird seeing Draco like that"

Serena turned around and sat back to her place, "Looking worried?" She asked

"No. Sweet"

Serena smiled. "Yeah it was something I didn't get used to at first either"

---------------------------------------------------------

Draco arrived at the dull and lifeless hall of Malfoy Manor. It seemed even colder than the last time he was here, though much safer.

"Mother?" He called out. When there was no answer he went to search for her in the big but lonely house he once called home.

"Mother?!" He called once again when he entered one of the drawing room. "Where is that woman?" He asked himself.

"Draco?" 

Draco turned around wondering who the voice called him.

"Oh, what are you doing here?" He asked, not expecting to see her

"My mother said I should come here since your mother was expecting me but she isn't here yet according to the house elf"

"Oh" Was all Draco could answer. There was an awkward silence that hung around them. "Why don't you take a seat. I'll try asking the elf where she went" Draco motioned for her to take a seat and quickly went towards door. He wanted to ask his mother why the hell Astoria was in the manor. But before he could reach the door, his mother came inside. A big smile on her face.

"Draco, Astoria! I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. I had an important call"

"Why are we here mother?" Draco asked trying not to sound too angry. He didn't want to seem rude to Astoria. Look at that, he actually cared if he seemed rude, he is a different person.

"There's an important party we need to attend to"

"Are you serious? You had me, worried mother! I thought there was some kind of emergency based on the letter you wrote" Draco was having a bit of a hard time controlling his emotions now.

"I apologize if I sounded that way. But anyway, you need a suit and I promised Astoria's mother that I would take Astoria shopping for her dress but something came up with the call I had earlier. So Draco, I hope you could accompany her in my place. I should get back, I really am busy now" She quickly went outside the room so Draco wouldn't ask questions but Draco, of course, caught up to her.

Narcissa dragged him farther away from the door so Astoria wouldn't here a thing.

"Mother ple--"

"Draco, please. I need your help with this. I promised Astoria's mother and the dinner party is already tomorrow! This dinner is very important to me and you all should look perfect! Please Draco, for me?"

Draco wanted to argue, wanted to decline and just get out and go back to where his friends are. But how could he say no to his pleading mother? She looked so happy and hopeful, a look he hasn't seen on her since his father's imprisonment.

With a heavy sigh, he finally nodded.

"Oh thank you! I knew I could count on you Draco. You're the only man in my life who's never let me down" Narcissa said while caressing his face.

There was something in the way Narcissa said those words that made Draco feel nervous. Whether she said it because she really meant it, or she said it to warn him, he wasn't sure. 

Narcissa walked a few steps away already when she turned and said, "Oh and Draco, this is dinner party tomorrow is going to be a 4-day trip alright? I already sent a letter to your school informing of your absence. Bye!"

And before Draco could say something she already left. She really was a sly witch.

With great reluctance, Draco walked back into the drawing room.

"What was that about?" Astoria asked she was now standing up.

"I don't know but you heard my mother, we need to go buy clothes"

Astoria smiled, she looked way happier than he was about this arrangement.

Draco and Astoria walked around the stores. He told Astoria they could go their separate ways but she heavily insisted that she's fine if they look for their clothes together.  Draco was quick about the suit he bought, as long as it fit him he was already fine with it.

"So did you know about the party tomorrow?" Draco asked while they were walking to the next store.

"Yes, I did. Didn't you?"

"No. My mother always tells me last minute because she knows I'll decline if she told me ahead of time."

"A true Slytherin I see. Well I'm glad she told you last minute, at least now you get to come with us"

Draco stopped in his tracks. Draco felt that Astoria was flirting with him a bit, so head to set her straight and make sure she understood. He stopped walking and Astoria had to stop as well.

"Astoria, you know that I'm with Serena right?"

Astoria was a bit shocked with Draco's sudden announcement. She cleared her throat and smiled at him. "Of course I do Draco. I see you two all the time at Hogwarts and the Slytherin girls always talk about you so of course I know. I also know that our mothers want us to be together but I don't like you that way either"

"Oh, sorry I just thought..." Draco felt embarrassed. He wasn't particularly egotistic.... okay maybe he was at times, but he really thought that Astoria was sending him signals.

"That's alright, I'm sure lots of women flirt around you that's why you thought I was too. Most boys do that to me as well even if I told them I wasn't interested so I understand. I'm just glad that there's a friendly face going to the party and not just boring, status-obsessed adults" Astoria smiled

"That, I agree on" Both laughed and went on to finish their shopping. It was less annoying for Draco now that there as a clear understanding that both of them were just friends. And maybe, with a new friend, this 4-day trip wouldn't be as bad as he thought it would.