33 - The Truth

"I thought she'd be here by now," said Blaise as he and Draco were nearing the black lake.

"She's always running late"

"Yeah, but she seemed so curious and excited about your little gathering. I imagined she'd be waiting here like a puppy" 

"Yes, I could definitely see that" Draco smiled.

The two were talking about their lesson earlier and then quidditch when suddenly Draco felt a sharp sting in his shoulder which made him drop to the ground. Blaise immediately took his wand to defend himself and Draco but when he turned it was Serena, looking very angry and dangerous.

"Serena, what the hell are you doing?!" Blaise asked surprised his hand still on his wand. He wasn't even sure if this was Serena.

"Is it true?!" Serena's voice was firm and loud. Luckily, they were the only students there so no one could hear them and they had no audience.

Draco was still caressing his shoulder and trying to stand up. Blaise saw his struggle and helped him up.

"Answer me, Malfoy! Is it true?!" Her voice was so full of anger Blaise wouldn't be surprised if thunder and lightning came after she asked.

When Draco didn't answer, Serena cast another spell that barely hit Draco's shoulder. But how the spell hit the water behind him he knew it was a strong spell and he also knew that Serena missed Draco on purpose.

"Serena, would you calm down! What are you even talking about?" Blaise asked trying to decipher what in the world was going on.

"If you don't answer me now, Merlin help me I will drown you in that lake" Serena continued to ignore Blaise, her voice now a low grumble.

"What do you know?" Draco asked. He wanted to kick himself for making himself sound more guilty. But before he could explain, he needed to know what she knew.

"You bastard! You and Astoria...something happened.... you...." Serena couldn't even finish her sentence when tears started to blur her vision. It killed Draco to see her like this. 

"Serena please, let me explain...." Draco held his hands up as if to surrender. Blaise at his side feeling confused and shocked and Serena still aimed at Draco tears now flowing from her face but refused to back down or look weak.

"It's... It's true. Something did happen but..." before Draco could continue, Blaise saw the shift in Serena's face and when she raised her wand to cast a spell, Blaise casted "Expelliarmus!"

Serena's wand went to him so having no weapons, Serena charged towards Draco and hurled both of them to the ground. Blaise got a hold of Serena so she wouldn't do anything she might regret.

"Damn she's strong! What the hell did you do mate?" Blaise asked as he was hugging Serena from behind who wanted to be free of him so she could charge towards Draco.

"Blaise, let go of me!" Serena was now getting angrier.

"Serena, listen to me!" Draco was holding both of Serena's arm trying to make her listen to him. But when he got closer, Serena kicked him in the balls.

"Argh! Bloody hell!"

"You deserve that you cheating arse!"

"Would you calm down and listen to me?!" When Serena didn't say anything more Draco finally continued. "Something happened but I never cheated on you and I never ever will! Astoria was the one who kissed me and when she did, I pushed her away. I left and I came here to Hogwarts, to you. I was going to tell you today, but unfortunately, you found out about it.... How did you find out about it?"

Serena calmed down a little bit but there was still anger in her face and Blaise was still holding on to her. "I heard some witches who were present in your gathering. They said you two were fairly close, always together"

Draco couldn't deny that. It was real, but he explained to Serena everything that happened, from the day he warned Astoria about him being in a relationship and how she acknowledged it, to their new friendship(or so he thought), and finally to the night she kissed him. Although, he did decide to leave out the detail about Astoria saying how he's better off with her than Serena. She didn't need to know that.

"After that, I made it perfectly clear that I didn't want her at all. I stole my mother's portkey and went back here as soon as I could. I never intended to keep it a secret from you"

"I heard what the witch said. You wanted change in your reputation, I myself know how much you wanted that for yourself and now for all of you purebloods. I also know you'll do whatever it takes to make it happen. And I know that Astoria is the one who can help you make that happen"

Draco was now a bit angry himself "Do you really believe that? I told you and showed you I'm not the same person anymore but the person you're describing is the old Draco Malfoy. The one who cares nothing else but status. Serena, you know how important you are to me"

"Am I, Draco? You let another girl kiss you!"

"How is that my fault?!"

"Because a girl wouldn't do that unless you gave her an idea or made her feel that she had a chance with you!"

"So what are you trying to say that I seduced her? Or is that what you heard them say? I can't believe you'd actually believe them! Do you always believe in the rumours you hear?"

Serena looked at Draco straight in the eye and replied, "Only when the person makes it believable"

"If that's what you think then maybe I am that person" 

Serena looked at him with furious eyes one more time and walked out not wanting to hear any more.

Blaise was looking at Serena walking farther away, then looked at Draco who was looking at the ground, then looked back at Serena who was already too far. He looked back at Draco and then Draco took his wand, cast a spell on a nearby tree which was split in half. Blaise quickly mended the tree feeling sorry that it was the subject of Draco's anger.

Draco was sitting on the grass looking at the lake. His face angry and pained and Blaise sat beside him. He wanted to say so many things but he knew Draco needed a moment of silence.

"I fucked up didn't I?" Draco asked, his voice barely audible, his eyes locked on the still water.

"Yes, no, maybe"

"How was I supposed to know that Astoria would kiss me?"

"It's pretty obvious that Astoria fancied you for a long time. You knew that and that was the reason you didn't even want to be near her. And just because she said she knew you had a girlfriend doesn't mean it changes anything. You shouldn't have been extra friendly with her" Blaise said.

"I was being nice! I wasn't being extra-friendly! She can't blame this on me! I did nothing wrong!" Draco defended himself

"Okay then, picture this. While you were in that gathering, imagine if door matt started hanging out with Serena and he knows you two are together but he tells Serena that they're just friends and just wanted to keep her company. So they hang-out together for not just a day but 4 days and to put the icing on the cake, he kissed her. How would you feel?"

Blaise's example infuriated Draco even if it wasn't real. He now understood even more what Blaise meant and what Serena was feeling.

"Look, mate, I'm not saying you were at fault but instead of being angry with Serena whose already angry and more on hurt by what happened. Why don't you try and reassure her? There's no use in fighting fire with fire" Blaise placed a hand on Draco's shoulder.

"Since when did you become the expert on love advice?" Draco looked over at Blaise who simply shrugged.

"Experience. 3 years of experience" Blaise smiled