26 - The Dilemma

Weeks had gone by and it was finally February. This year, the students went all out with decorations for Valentine's day. Serena was surprised and wondered why the faculty members allowed such extravagant displays for a simple holiday but then thought that maybe because this year they didn't have to worry about any upcoming war or worry about any dark presence. It was the year of freedom and love.

Serena was never the kind of girl who got giddy and excited for Valentine's. She wasn't stressed either when she didn't have any dates in the past years. Although she did think that she would confess to Tristan on Valentine's, how cliché was that? She shuddered at the thought. Thank Merlin it didn't happen!

But thankfully that was all in the past and now she's happily with Draco. At the thought of him, she suddenly stopped walking and realized. "Wait a minute," she thought to herself, "should I give a gift to Draco? Does he even want to celebrate Valentine's? Do I want to celebrate?" Anxious, Serena decided to go and ask the person who knew Draco best.

Blaise was sitting at a bench by the quadrangle busy in his work when he felt someone sit beside him.

"I didn't know you sketched," Serena said surprised.

"Just one of my many amazing skills" Blaise smiled while closing his sketchpad.

"Was that a hippogriff? That was pretty good Blaise, I'm impressed!"

"Why thank you, Serena! I could listen to you compliment my art skills all day but we both know that's not why you're here"

Serena gave him a sly smile. She looked around to make sure Draco wasn't near or incoming. She leaned closer towards Blaise "okay, so I'm actually glad you're here alone and promise not to tell Draco about this conversation okay?"

"Very interesting way to start a conversation, I am intrigued and I promise" Blaise replied with a cheeky smile.

"And don't laugh when I ask you! I myself have no clue about what this darn thing is and honestly why do people alwa--"

"Stop blabbering and get on with it!" Blaise interrupted, clearly curious about what Serena had to ask.

"Okay! Uh...... So....... What does um...... Draco think of Valentine's day?"

All Blaise had was a confused look with a hint of disappointment, maybe? Serena wasn't sure but she knew Blaise wasn't expecting that question and clearly didn't know what she meant. So she explained further, "you know, does he like the holiday? Or does he hate it? Celebrate it? Those kinds of things"

Blaise looked up as if to find an answer floating in the sky. He then looked at Serena and replied "I don't know. He used to hate it when we were younger, but as we got older he didn't really care"

Serena sighed, not knowing what to make out of Blaise's response.

"But it is understandable" Blaise added, "I mean how could he even have time to think about a silly holiday when he was training to be a death eater"

"I guess you're right"

"But if you have plans to do something for him, I say go for it." Blaise encouraged

"That's exactly what I'm wondering about. I don't have a plan yet cause I myself don't celebrate it either, and I never had a reason to. Until now." Serena said as she leaned back on the bench facing the castle. "But I kind of want to do something for him" She whispered not sure if to herself only or to Blaise.

"Then you should," Blaise said reaching for Serena's hand.

"Do you and Pansy celebrate it?" Serena asked