Ch.XIII The man I love

Enjoying a cup of green tea. In a gazebo with Glenn Mungo. The elf offers him some booze. Very tempting. But he refused. The last thing he needs is killing Chief Arnaud when he's drunk.

(The chief would love her. Give her a stable life. A happy marriage. Something I couldn't give her).

Monk felt blue. Thinking another man would sleep with her. Hearing her sweet voice during intercourse.

(I wanna kill him! No, I couldn't kill the groom...still I have to make sure she would be happy).

"Your chief is a bit young, isn't he? Thought I would be dealing with someone older," asks Monk.

Mungo laughs heartily.

And he says, "You are a very tough guy. Sometimes I forgot you are just a human being. How old do you think he is?"

"Around forty years, I guess," says Monk doubtfully.

"More than four hundred years, human."

Monk is silent.

They are elves. Their lifespans are a lot longer than humans.

"He would remain the same, right?" asks Monk.

"For the next few hundred years," says Mungo.

"And his wife would aged like other human does."

"I told him it was a bad idea," says Mungo honestly.

"Why? He just met her. He couldn't be in love with her," asks Monk.

Mungo sighs.

And then he says, "She's a sacred peach."

"I know."

"The chief had a lover once. She's also a sacred peach. But a demon killed her. Our chief never been the same afterwards."

(Arnaud never love Farrah. Her beauty will wither away. And she would die here. Alone. Far from friends and family).

Monk drinks his tea in silent. He must convince Farrah to leave him.

This marriage is doomed from the start. The groom still loved his dead lover. And Farrah still loves him.

(I must take Farrah back to human world. But the Order needs magic guns. More members have died recently. Jacques was only one of the casualties).

Torn between duty and love.

(What should I do? If I took her away, the Order would never get stronger weapons to fight demon. And we are already losing this war. But if Farrah stayed here, she would suffer...)