Ch.6 Making amends

Dave is awfully quiet in this long journey to a wasteland. He has been avoiding Samantha and the rest of the group.

Hector has been urging them to go faster. Hard to walk in the damp soil, which oozing smelly rotten greenish liquids in a certain interval.

Finally it's break time.

Dave is sitting on a fallen tree. Eating his lunch. Samantha walks and sits on the same spot. He tries to rise but Samantha grabs his arm.

"Look at me, Dave," pleads her.

His hazel eyes are filled with pain and sadness. Staring into her purple eyes. Reminded him of his past life as a cold heartless demon, Constantine Sadoros.

He could only remember fragments of his past life. And it's enough to convince he was a ruthless demon, craving for death, killing for pleasure.

Samantha says, "I don't care who you were. Now you are David Englebert, my husband."

"Your fake husband, you mean," mocks him.

The cold tone in his voice made her shudders a bit.

She says, "I want you for the rest of my life, Dave. No one else but you."

He touches her smooth cheek. Caressing her lips with his thumb.

(I want you too, wife. For the rest of my life. But...I can't... I'm no longer the same me...)

Dave shakes his head.

"I can't. I will divorce you once we get back. Return your dowry. You shall find a decent man, better than I," says Dave weakly while rising back to his feet again.

And Penny just snaps.

She suddenly approaches him and gives him a hard slap.

"Pathetic man! Con was a brutal, ruthless demon. But he's a proud man. He would only laugh if he had to face his past crimes. Even in his dying moment, he never wavered," scolds Penny.

Another hard slap from her.

Penny yells, "Weakling! You are a disgrace to Con! I misjudged you, Dave!"

(What has got it into her? She wasn't even drunk. Losing control like this isn't her style).

Penny mocks, "Cry baby human. You are a disgrace to Con. He always killed and destroyed anyone who opposed him. Hate him. But he sure has guts."

Samantha frowns.

(Penelope Dove looked like an ordinary secretary in her mid thirties. But if she knew Con...)

"By the way, I killed Con. Faced me like a real man if you wanted revenge, Dave," taunts Penny.

Dave suddenly laughs heartily although nothing's funny.

"Thanks, Penny. Best joke of the year. I sure need some laughter, " says Dave while giving Penny a good hug.

Penny is stunned. She just realized she almost blows her cover. Telling everyone she is actually a demon. Dave just saved her, implying it's just a joke.

(Everyone said Con as a hideous powerful demon. Thinking Penny, a gentle meek demon killed I in the past. A total humiliation!

Penny was right. I should face my past bravely. Instead running away from it).

Dave holds Samantha's hand. And he asks, "I would never hurt you, Sam. Not on purpose. Would you accept me, Sam? After knowing my hideous past? Till I'm too old to remember my own name?"