Ch.XV Wavering heart

Codex Book. Source of all knowledge in the world. Legend stated a nameless God created it. To bring chaos and destructive to the world.

The book's location is unknown. It always moved from one owner to another one. Anyone would kill for the Codex Book.

And the book can't be destroyed. Burned it. Soaked it in water. Freezes it. Nothing works.

(And now it's in Con's hands. The most dangerous demon I've known. I have to kill him. Before he could milk out more info from that cursed book. Must be where he learned about Sacred Peach. The book told him everything).

Monk has reported about Codex Book to the head of Council. Edward Engelbert orders him to kill Con and retrieves the book. Easier said than done.

Con is already a dangerous demon without the book. Now he is almost invincible.

Snow is falling down from sky. Cold. But Monk is still standing outside. Staring to the snowflakes. A cold winter night.

He has spent autumn here. Probably the whole winter too. Designing super weapon to kill demons is easier said than done.

Chief Arnaud and him argued a lot. Still no weapon made.

He sighs.

Spring would come sooner or later. And he still isn't ready. To be a husband and a father. That isn't his path in this life.

(She's serious. She would leave me when spring comes. What should I do? I can't leave the Order. Become an ordinary man. It's who I am. A demon Hunter. But I can't loose her...What should I do?)

Staring to the dark sky again. Snows start to pile up on ground. Covering  everything with soft white blanket.

If only he could cleanse his hands easily. Quitting the Order and becomes a new man. Someone who is satisfied with idle life. Someone who isn't Luciano Monk.

Farrah has come out. Alone. Sitting on a wooden bench in the dark. As if she's waiting for someone.

(Who are you waiting, Farrah? It's cold out here. Are you cheating one me?)

She just sits there. Staring up to the dark sky, to the falling snow.

(She's cute. A kind hearted woman. Finding a decent husband would be a cinch for her. What about me? What would I do if she left me? Back to beginning. Slaying demons. A cold blooded killer).

She has stayed here too long. She would freeze to death.

"Go inside, Farrah. You would catch a cold," orders him.

No response from her. As if she hasn't heard him.

He walks closer and tries to hold her hand. His hand passes her hand. As if he's just a ghost.

Farrah doesn't seem to see him although he's standing right in front of him. Then she begins to weeps bitterly.

"Who made you so miserable, Farrah? Who broke your heart? I will kill him!"

But she doesn't seem to hear his questions although he has asked it loudly.

Somehow he knows he has died. Farrah is mourning for him.

And the snowy sceneries around him changes.

A well illuminated ballroom...
Farrah is dancing with a man in a crowded ballroom. She looks so happy. Almost dazzling. And she kisses her dance partner, the lucky man.

*****

He looks around. He is back in the snowy field. He takes off his gloves and rubs his hands. Felt warm. He is still alive.