Chapter 24

Sabrina's POV

Nick walked in the house; I looked over at him from my spot on the couch in the living room. He took a deep breath and walked in; he sat by me. I studied him, trying to find out if everything went okay with Brian; but, his facial expressions were unreadable...To me, anyways. Nick looked down at me.

"He hates me." He states simply. I let out a small sigh. He doesn't hate you, per-say, he's just mad at you. To be honest, I'd be furious with my best friend if she decided to push me in the snow.

"Nick, he-" I start, but he decides to cut me off.

"He hates me, Sabrina; don't say that he doesn't, because he does." Nick's voice is stern. 

"He's just mad, Nick."

"You didn't see the way he looked at me, Sabrina."

"Maybe not, but best friends are like sisters and brothers. No matter how much you fight, you always forgive each other in the end." I say, completely confident with my reply to his statement.

"Sabrina he-"

"Is your best friend, he's just mad at you; knowing Brian, he'll be over it by tomorrow."

"Yeah, sure." Nick replies sarcastically. I arch an eyebrow at him.

"Don't even start." I say sternly.

"Start what?" He asks.

"You know exactly what I am talking about, Nick." I state. Nick looks at me with a confused expression. I roll my eyes. "Quit being so negative and sarcastic. Every time you are, you end up acting like an asshole. Seriously, just stop while you're ahead." Nick opens his mouth to say something, but closes it again and nods a little.

I get up from my spot on the couch and walk in the kitchen to get some tea; Nick follows me. When we walk in the kitchen, I go straight for the tea, and hot chocolate cupboard. I pull out five boxes of tea, and two boxes of hot chocolate; one has marshmallows, the other kind doesn't.  I find my tea hidden in the back of the cupboard. Maybe that's why they weren't drinking my tea, they probably couldn't find it. I grab my tea and set it on the counter, I put the other kinds of tea, and the hot chocolate back; then, I start making my tea.

"Would you like a cup?" I ask, turning to Nick. He nods and doesn't say anything. "Do you want anything with it?"

"Sugar, please." He says, his voice is quiet. I look at him.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing."

"Nick," I say sternly.

"Sabrina..."

"Why are you being quiet?" I ask.

He shrugs.

"There has to be a reason, Nick..." I say and he shrugs again. "Nick, stop shrugging."

"Fine," Nick murmurs, sitting on one of the chairs at the kitchen table. I roll my eyes and put the tea pot on the burner. I walk over to Nick and sit by him.

"Nick, just tell me what's wrong." I ask softly. He doesn't say anything. I figure it's either what I said earlier, or the Brian situation, maybe a mix of the two. "Nick," He looks up at me.

"Do you think I might have lost Brian as friend for good?" He asks suddenly.

I shake my head. "No, Nick, I already told you..."

Nick nods a little. So, it's the Brian situation. "Do you think that I'm always negative? An asshole, even?" And I though too soon. It's both. I shake my head.

"Not always. You have your moments, everybody does."

"It's just lately I haven't been the nicest person, so..." He trails off. I nod a little, understanding what he's getting at.

It's silent for a few moments, Nick opens his mouth to say something, but is cut off by the loud whistling sound of the tea pot. I get up and get two mugs and then two tea bags. I put one in each mug, then bring them to the table. I place one in front of Nick and one in front of where I was sitting; then, I go and get the sugar and two spoons; one for me and one for him.

Nick and I drink our tea after we add the sugar. I notice that he seems deep in thought about something. I set my tea down and look at him. "Are you okay? You look deep in thought."

Nick nods. "I was just..." He stops and looks at me. "Will you go on a date with me Friday night?"

I look at him. What? He looks at me, he's nervously waiting for a reply. "Sure." I say casually like it's not a big deal; but, it is a big deal. I've never been on a date before, which makes me automatically a thousand times more nervous than he is.

Nick smiles a little. "Great," He says before going back to drinking his tea.