we'll make it through this

in which all alec needs is someone to hold onto, and magnus provides exactly that.

~

"We'll make it through this." Magnus said in a soft voice, trying his best to reassure the young Shadowhunter. Alec's head turned towards him, but not enough for Magnus to look into his eyes. "One step at a time." Magnus continued.

"Yeah, I know." Alec whispered back. It was obvious that he couldn't really bring himself to say anything else. His pain was plainly visible to Magnus's trained eyes.

Alec turned his head sideways, trying his hardest to keep the tears at bay. Magnus felt terrible; the last thing he wanted was for Alec to hide his emotions. But he knew that there was nothing he could do right now except be there for Alec.

Or so he thought.

"Thank you." Alec whispered, turning to face Magnus again. He locked gazes for a moment, but when Alec made no move to return Magnus's touch, it was evident that what he needed was some time alone.

Although slightly hurt, Magnus understood. He gave a knowing smile and lightly caressed Alec's cheek before walking away.

He had hardly gone a few feet before he heard Alec's voice again, cracking and filled with pain. "M-Magnus?" Alec said hesitantly, his voice barely above a whisper.

Magnus didn't say anything in response. Instead, he turned to look at Alexander. Only then did he realise that his previous judgment had been wrong - very wrong. What Alexander Gideon Lightwood needed right now, more than anything, was a hug. And Magnus was willing to comply.

He strode up to Alec and gently but firmly embraced the Shadowhunter, enveloping him in his arms. Alec held on tightly, needing all the support he could get, as he buried his head in Magnus's shoulder and cried softly, silently, not saying a single word.

They stayed like that for a long time - Alec crying, Magnus holding him and rubbing his back, soothing him. And not once did either let go.

×××

[a/n:]

yeah this isn't very long, but i kinda liked it. i know it didn't actually happen, but i found it sweet.

actually, i found it in my notes app.

ha, look at me, a comedic genius. i am an intellectual. humanity is beneath me.

seriously, it's like i'm asking one of you to sucker punch me at this point.

anyway, let me know what y'all thought of this one, yeah? and remember, requests are always open :)

all the love,
dana.