fine

in which magnus reaffirms just how strong they really are.

~

"You're going to be okay, right?" Alec asked hesitantly, his gaze wavering as his hand came to a tentative rest on Magnus's shoulder.

"Of course, Alexander." Magnus said reassuringly, trying to calm his boyfriend. The last thing he wanted was for Alec to spend the day worrying about him. He was the Head of the New York Institute, he had enough on his plate already.

"Are you sure?" Alec asked again, the concern evident in his features. "Should I take the day off?"

Magnus wanted to nod. He wanted to scream right at Alec's face that he didn't want Alexander to stay, he needed him to. Giving his magic up had been the hardest thing he'd ever had to do, and although he didn't regret it, it still hurt. And right now, he needed his Alexander by his side, more than anything.

But Magnus only smiled.

"Alexander," He said, somewhat patronizing. Although he had no idea how he managed to do it, Magnus somehow managed to fit a chuckle into his words. "You really need to stop worrying about me. I'll be fine."

The concerned look didn't disappear from Alec's face entirely, but he did look a lot less worried, especially when Magnus stood up straight in front of him, looking him right in the eye to assure him that he was okay.

Of course, Magnus wasn't okay. But he didn't want Alec to know that.

"I'll see you tonight, then?" Alec asked,clearly a lot more cheerful than he had been a few minutes ago.

"Yeah." Magnus breathed out, nodding his head to steady himself as he miserably thought of having to spend the rest of the day without his Alexander.

"Yeah." He said again, more firmly this time, steadying himself. "I'll see you in the evening."

Alec smiled at him, giving his shoulder a light squeeze before taking his hand off, giving Magnus a quick peck on the lips before heading out the door.

He shut the door softly behind him, leaving Magnus completely alone in his loft that had always been a home to him, but had managed to lose that title to Alexander somewhere along the way, one single thought swirling in his head.

Don't go.

**

Alec rubbed his forehead lightly, sighing as he assessed the stack of paperwork in front of him. It had hardly been a few hours since he'd arrived at the Institute, but he had barely managed to get any work done.

Instead, his thoughts kept going back to Magnus.

When he had spoken to the warlock today morning, Magnus had made it seem like everything was okay, that he had everything under control.

Initially, Alec had believed him. He trusted Magnus enough to tell him if he wasn't fine, and even though he had sensed something off about his boyfriend today morning, he had blamed it on himself. Now, he wasn't so sure.

Sighing, Alec shook his head to clear it and reached for the first sheet of paper. He was just about to begin reading it when his phone began to ring.