alec over the ages [i]

for the record, i am well aware that the title makes alec sound like a prehistoric dinosaur but...

i really should stop trying to be funny

i really should stop trying to be funny. it never works.

here's the fic:

~

[Three]

"Thank you, Mr. Bane." Maryse Lightwood said stiffly, obviously not very pleased that the High Warlock of Brooklyn was in the Institute. "Payment for your services will be shortly rendered."

Magnus could clearly sense the waves of dislike she was sending his way, but he chose to pay it no heed. Instead, he smiled warmly at Maryse, thanked her and went along his way.

Just as he rounded the corner, however, a small, warm object no higher than his knees collided into him, and fell to the ground with a small oomph and a thud.

It took Magnus a second to realize that the 'warm object' was actually a young boy who, by the likes of it, was merely three years old. He smiled, and bent down to help the boy.

"Sowwy." The boy said, adorably shy. He continued to dust himself off, and whispered a 'thank you' before looking up to meet Magnus's eyes. For a moment, Magnus was thrown off guard, captivated by both the innocence and beauty in the boy's eyes.

"You're welcome." Magnus said gently, smiling broadly as he willed himself to come back to his senses. "I'm Magnus Bane." He continued. He chose not to add the whole 'High Warlock of Brooklyn' part, preferring not to scare or intimidate the boy.

He had expected him to respond with his own name, but instead, the young shadowhunter simply nodded, ducked his head, and walked past Magnus.

"Wait. What's your name?" Magnus called after him. The boy stopped and turned around halfway, before muttering "Alexander," and scurrying away.

And that was the first time Magnus Bane met Alexander Gideon Lightwood.

[Fifteen]

Magnus Bane may have been centuries old, but if there was one thing he never forgot, it was the face of a person he had previously encountered. Maybe he couldn't remember their name, but he could most certainly recognize.

This, however, didn't mean that he met with the faces - or rather people - he had encountered very often. Which was why he was more than a little surprised to find himself face to face with the hazel eyes that had captivated him more a few years ago. In Central Park, no less.