eager as ever

in which their thoughts are a lot more in symphony than either of them expect.

~

Alec bit his lip, running one hand through his hair. He forced himself to take deep breaths; to calm down. His other hand was in his pocket, fingering the tiny velvet box inside.

He tried to focus only on his breathing. Deep breath in; deep breath out. Over and over again.

Suddenly, he heard footsteps approaching. Alec knew without a doubt that the light tread was Magnus's. Sure enough, he heard a familiar voice when the footsteps got close enough.

"Alexander?" Magnus called out as he appeared at the doorway of Alec's office. "You called?" His face scrunched up adorably, a mixture of happiness upon seeing Alec and worry.

"Y-yeah. I did, actually." Alec said after a beat. He looked at Magnus.

"Well?" Magnus asked. "Is something wrong?"

"Right, right. Uh, no, nothing's wrong. No need to be worried." Alec said, slightly flustered. "I just....needed to ask you something." Finishing his sentence seemed to take an incredible amount of effort, he was breathless by the time he got all the words out.

"Ask away." Magnus said with a grand gesture of his hand, causing a small smile to play at Alec's lips.

Alec closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths before getting down on one knee and pulling the velvet box out of his pocket, opening it and holding it out in front of him.

Magnus's eyebrows went up. A few tears sparked in his eyes, but thankfully didn't fall. Yet. A smile appeared at his lips, growing wider by the second.

"Magnus Bane." Alec began. His voice shook a little, but he had never been so sure of anything. "When I first met you, you annoyed me to no end." Alec said, smiling. Magnus chuckled.

"But there was something about you, it drew me towards you. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. And all that attention you gave me, it confused me. Made me pretty angry, too. I was supposed to be in love with Jace. But when I was around you, I felt something different. I thought I knew what love was, but I didn't, not until I met you."

Alec looked into Magnus's eyes for a moment before continuing.

"I tried to deny what I felt, even though I didn't even know what it was at the time. But those feelings got harder and harder to ignore, especially with you constantly behind me. Finally, I gave in. And I'm glad I did. Or I never would have fallen in love with you. And I never would have made this decision, and been as sure of it as I am now."

Alec paused. He closed his eyes. Took a deep breath in. Let it out. Looked at Magnus. And continued.

"Magnus Bane, will you marry me?"

Alec looked at Magnus in anticipation. This was the big moment. Alec knew that Magnus loved him with all his heart, he had no doubt. But Magnus was immortal, while Alec was not. And he wasn't sure if Magnus would want to tie himself so permanently to someone who was eventually going to die. It killed Alec to think those thoughts, but he knew that it was the truth.

Alec continued to look at Magnus, waiting for some reaction. Anything. But his face was completely blank.

Until Magnus doubled over and started laughing.

Alec was completely taken aback. Maybe this was the wrong decision? Hurt and confused, he was just about to get up when Magnus put a hand on his shoulder.

"Wait, Alexander, let me explain." Magnus said between laughs.

"No, it's fine, Magnus, really." Alec mumbled under his breath, not quite meeting his eyes. He tried to get up again, but Magnus tightened the grip on his shoulder.